ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacement battery for a 172

After my thread about my dads trip computer only hitting one hundred & then resetting, a few suggested that the cars battery is on it's way out (mk2 172 52 reg, on what seems to be it's original one)

I told him so he went to look at prices etc, he went to costco to get a Bosch one, but it's too big & will not fit in the car (it's too tall & too long) The dude said he can match up the figures from another battery which is smaller if need be.

Question is, what are the standard ones rated at ?? His only has Renault on it & he said he didn't have time to take it off the car to look.

Also what make replacement ones are folk using ?

Cheers.

'14 Touareg, '14 GTi
I stuck with an OE unit from Renault. My 2002/52 Cup battery died in March.
Halfrauds do an replacement @ £100, although the main dealer prices were alot cheaper than that iirc.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Off the top of my head i think the originals are only 420 amps . They are a bit of an odd bod size , quite small . I replaced the one on my 172 with a varta one , 3 years warranty , cost about £38 from a local motor factors .

Black Gold 182FF
I got a new one for my 182 from "Motor World" a few days back, cost £59.

The battery size is:063, the number is EP41-LP1, it's 360A and will do the job just fine. Exact same physical size as the Renault original, just a few AMPS less.

Hope this helps:) .

Ph1
IMO you dont need a fancy branded battery, Halfords one will do a everyday job and comes with a decent warranty

Got mine for 27 quid ball park figure on the trade card ;)

Calcium ones are a little more expensive

Monaco 172
i got a varta 57 i think amp one form motor factors for 47 quid

it was slightly bigger but fits fine with a bit of persuasion.

not a clio anymore
You maybe do not need a fancy one, but Renault will charge you less than Halfords for a battery. I think I paid around £70 for it

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I got a high capacity long life battery for £60, of the web. I'll have a look at the invoice when I get home, give you the details.

Megane 225
Dialogys is listing the standard renault battery as 47 AH and it's 36 quid! Part No. is 7711222785

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Dialogys is listing the standard renault battery as 47 AH and it's 36 quid! Part No. is 7711222785

Correct - it is definitely a 47Ah battery as mine is the original Renault one on an '03 172.

Halfords want about £80 for a typical replacement, found this one below though. Its a slightly lower Ah at 45, and the cranking current is a bit less.

http://www.carbatteryshop.co.uk/i-Type-063-Delphi-Car-Battery-12V-45Ah-Delphi-S45AL-I4147.html

Having said that, I bought an optimate charger which I leave connected whenever I'm not using the car. After not being able to start it at all, it is now better than ever as it is always fully charged.:) That cost me £45.

My dads is on it's original too (same age) His cars on 46k or something like that.
I'll pass on the info & get him to call people.

Thanks for the info peeps:)

Lots of Alfas
On a different note how long should a battery last, my 88k 52 plate 172 still has the original battery??

How long is a piece of string? Just depends, about 3-4 years wud be normal.

My 2000 172mk1 on 77k still has the original, started first time on the key after not using the car for 3 weeks. My 1.2 had done 88k and the original on that was still going strong.

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI
I had the same problem Craig for mine.... All of the "2.0 ltr" battery's didnt fit. Ended up getting a 1.8 Clio battery - Exact same size as the old one

M2 Competition
I used a free aa call out as got stuck somewhere without a battery... £60 fitted for a new one on side of the road. No bad!

1998 BMW e46 323i
CES UK, 2 year warranty, exact fit, 30 quids. Was well happy. Was told the brand makes no difference; they're all filled in the same way with the same stuff.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
I had the same problem Craig for mine.... All of the "2.0 ltr" battery's didnt fit. Ended up getting a 1.8 Clio battery - Exact same size as the old one

It seems most battery manufacturers websites/brochures spec the 2.0 Clio Battery as a size 065, whereas, as someone posted earlier, the actual size needed to fit is 063.

:rolleyes: