ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Repetitive brake() squeeking

Hey Guys,

I drove to work this morning with a fairly loud squeeking coming from somewhere around the wheel. It must have been the brake pads or something on the axle because it occured at the same point on a revolution.

It stops when I put my foot on the brakes, then reappears more or less staright after. Any ideas?

Do you have ABS? If you do, which I assume by the car you have, you do. Find a nice open road. Get upto a fairly good speed (make sure its a dry road) then slam on the brakes. If it still does it afterwards then check the pads, callipers etc.

Paul

id advise the same thing essentially, mine were doing it a bit yesterday. I wouldnt be suprised if the brake components were frozen and just needed warming up. Go for a lunch time thrash just to eliminate mine and DTWDs ideas.

Just done it. Was also loaded up with friends too so gave them a good screeching!! Seems better. Probably just the weather at the mo. When I start the car in the morning I get a symphony of rattles, knocks, buzzing etc until it warms up!! (Aahhhh England!!)

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Squeeking can be caused but dirty between the pads and the discs as well. Maybe whip the pads off and give them a clean.

Its usually due to a piece of grit or something similar. Most cars Iknow develop a squeak at some stage for a while, then it disappears.

Wet weather is good to get rid of squeaks. I was a cycle mechanic and if people came to me with squeaky bike brake discs, Id send them to a wet place and make them ride for a while! If it was dirt, it would soon wear away!

Certainly on a bike, it can also to be to do with calliper alignment, the quality of the brake calliper mounting point, the number and quality of shims used and so on.

But with newish cars its usually just dirt!