ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Repeated alternator failures

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
This is probably just a case of getting an alternator from renparts that was on its way out, however I want to rule out the possibility.

Last year mine failed, it was smoking, smelt pretty bad - I think it was the regulator.

This morning, its happened again, less than 1000 miles (a year) later.

Is there anything I should be looking at?

I accidentally shorted the starter feed to the block with my ratchet when first undoing it (forgot to disconnect battery!) This isn't likely to have contributed considering the engine was off, is it?

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Had an auto-electrician look over the car today - no issues with the car and although not-repairable, he claims the alternator just died from wear :/

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Thanks. I think it's a dead certainty it was the alternator after it was pouring with smoke lol.

Handy thread, though.

You replaced the broken alternator with a second hand part and its failed again?

If that's the case probably a case of the 2nd hand alternator didn't have much life in it as well.