ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Repairable or new bumper?

8530955355_f703b3c3cd_b.jpg

DSCN0158 by Emma_Williams, on Flickr

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If they were hard to get hold of im sure you could get it repaired and painted, but given how little they are just to buy in decent nick I wouldnt bother repairing that personally.

I've been trying to get hold of a cup one for ages but they are either being sold by complete tards or need respraying.

If I'm going to have to respray one might as well just get this one sorted really.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
once repaired it will always be a weak area and may split again

Yep, and given that cup ones are nothing special, i'd still sooner buy a different colour one and get it painted, than pay the same money to have it repaired as a straight one would cost, and still need painting anyway.

Although I'd try a lot harder first to just find one the right colour.

Yep, and given that cup ones are nothing special, i'd still sooner buy a different colour one and get it painted, than pay the same money to have it repaired as a straight one would cost, and still need painting anyway.

Although I'd try a lot harder first to just find one the right colour.

Easier said then done. It's been like that for nearly 6 months now and I can't get hold of one that doesn't need paint work.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Even if it's 'repaired', you'll only need to press on it too hard whrn polishing it and it will crack again. Major weak point.

As above, just buy a secondhand one and get it painted.

Absolute nonsense about weak points blah blah

It's plastic - plastic welding is a piece of piss and is just as strong as before the break
I had my old 106 bumper plastic welded and they even put a bit of fiberglass backing on it to reinforce it - lasted for 5+ years and was still looking like new when I scrapped the car lol

Find a local plastic welding place, get it welded up and a quick blast with some paint, good as new

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Bumper looks tatty anyway could do with a respray, just grab a cheap bumper from ebay and spray it theres loads on atm, or as said plastic weld it, will be more than strong enough, im guessing you must of back into something to do that?

iceberg phase 2 172
once plastic welded by a decent bodyshop not a pikey it'll be more than strong enough, i once had 1 of my esp arches plastic welded on my mk5 fiesta , never had a problem with it an i owned the car for 3 yrs after that :)

Bumper looks tatty anyway could do with a respray, just grab a cheap bumper from ebay and spray it theres loads on atm, or as said plastic weld it, will be more than strong enough, im guessing you must of back into something to do that?

I didn't hit nothing. Some dick reversed into me in a car park. The 'tatty' parts were also part of the damage. Was mint before hand. I was so annoyed.

RB 182 cup
if a bit of plastic is welded, no matter how hard it is hit in the spot of welding it will never crack there, it will always crack somewhere else. plastic welding is good and very strong

106GTI / NovaC20LET
I didn't hit nothing. Some dick reversed into me in a car park. The 'tatty' parts were also part of the damage. Was mint before hand. I was so annoyed.

Don't blame you! was it done while you were away from the car? So frustrating when people who don't give a s**t about their cars damage yours, I have a massive line down my door where someone has slammed their door into mine.

Don't blame you! was it done while you were away from the car? So frustrating when people who don't give a s**t about their cars damage yours, I have a massive line down my door where someone has slammed their door into mine.

It was done at work so I didn't even know it had been hit until about 8 hours after it happened. Wasn't caught on CCTV either so the idiot who did it denied it.

172 Cup & Black Ph1
Hi mate, bumper is repairable its called plastic welding where hot plastic is inserted and is bonded to the bumper would find it strange if it split again, i am a car repairer/painter and have to 100's of repairs similar to that cant remeber any coming back either i know how hard them bumpers are to get was looking for a spare to mine to customise lol

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Dumbfounded at the advice in here sometimes.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Personally if it was me I'd get a new one on it a repaint it just for peace of mind.

Last thing you want to do is pay to have it all sorted and then have it crack again after a slight knock.

Renualtsport clio182
maybe you should get a quote first to fix it because it may not be any cheaper to get it fixed and painted then to just get a second hand one and get that painted just an idea

it will be able to but will still be a weak area and potentially crack again

imo listen to this guy

I have read several of his other posts and he is always pretty on the ball with advice and sounds more than capable with bodywork and painting (which is why I am trusting him to do my bumper)

Clio Sport 172 Cup
I piled mine into the back of a Focus in March last year. Have been looking for bonnet, bumper, grills and fogs individually ever since. The cost was racking up as I thought I'd have to get the lot resprayed but finally I've found a bumper in same colour with all grills, fogs and wiring included for half the price I thought I'd have to pay and probably half the price to have the lot repaired.

Buy decent second hand, patience is a virtue.