ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Sport Badge Removal (De-Badge)

Monaco
IMG_4001.jpg

First of all, why did I want to de-badge my sport?

For a number of reasons. :) I’m a bit of a perfectionist/nerd when it comes to fonts colour and balance. The Renault Sport badge breaks a load of rules on this front. It uses all capitals, then all lowercase, when the work Clio has a capital C than is lower case, this is messy. Renault and Sport are underlined and clio isnt, this is messy. The Renault is in a serif fornt whereas sport and Clio are not, this is also messy. I’m also not a fan of the way it is aligned on the boot, or the fact that it just doesn’t seem to look balanced when you look at the car from the back. All this ontop of the fact that it is near-on identical to the £1.99 “Sport” badge located on the cash desk of every Halfords in the Country. But that’s just me? :p

So to the de-badging (Note: PH2 only)
If it was in a Haynes Manual I would give it Half a Spanner. You will need dental floss and a hair dryer;
IMG_4000.jpg

- I also used white spirit and T-cut but this is down to you.

First of all you need to heat up the badge a fair bit (not enough to damage the paint) with the hairdryer. This will soften the glue holding the badge on. Then gentley run the dental floss behind the badge. I recomend holding the floss vertically and moving along the badge horizontally as shown;
DSC00619.jpg

This will leave a fair amount of the double-sided sticky pad and dirt as shown;
DSC00620.jpg

I then gently peeled as much of the sticky pad off as possible by hand. This left this;
DSC00625.jpg

I next wiped over the area using white spirit on a soft cloth. However it is better to use a tar remover such as Meguires, etc. This left the area looking a bit cleaner. However upon wetting the area there is clearly alot residue still left on the paintwork;
DSC00626.jpg

I used wiped over again with white spirit and it left a similar residue. Next i used T-cut. Again I would recommend a better product but this is just what was lying around;
DSC00628.jpg

This was buffed off by hand and then the area was wetted again;
DSC00629.jpg

Normally I would then polish the area to finish the job but as you can see my car is filthy so the polish will come in the next couple of days when I give the car a proper clean. The results I achieved were good, the job took about half an hour and i used the most schoolboy set of tools and product possible...except for the hair dryer, that's a serious machine.

Before;
IMG_3998-1.jpg

After;
DSC00631.jpg

DSC00632.jpg

White spirit is definitely not recommended and on that note I'm not responsible for any damage caused using this guide. Always consult the bottles and seek advice if unsure.

There seem to be a fair number of threads dedicated to questions such as “How is the Renault Badge Held on,” etc. I wrote this guide so in future threads like this can be sent a link to this guide and locked. Hope it helps.

I've tried to put this in the guides section but failed badly :eek:

Last edited:

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Doesn't particularly look any better, but doesn't look anyworse.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
WOW!:S
Thats the most effort i've ever seen anyone put into de-badge a 172,
I just pulled from the top and poured auto glym tar remover behind it, came off well easy,
then wiped it over with more tar remover job done, took me about 3 minutes.

Your reasons are wrong......Geeky even !

But i agree it looks better without the badges, hence why i ripped mine off a while ago. Just seems to tidy up the boot lid imo.

Monaco
I just pulled from the top and poured auto glym tar remover behind it, came off well easy,

If i had this stuff I would probably have done exactly that.

Corsa Van. Meh.
Looks odd with only the one badge. I'd get the newer style one to replace the old. Evens it up a bit. IMO of course.

Ph 1 172
Looks just as lopsided need to remove the Clio one as well

Good effort as well, should of just got old style clip badge that's underlined and the same font, it's slightly shorter but does look better

200 Gordini
mk3 RS badge is the way forward on 1*2s. Good write up for whoever might need it though :)

Last edited:
  Ollie's Silver Cup

lol that's pretty much the method I used! Worked well :cool:

I much prefer it without the Renault and Sport badge :)

Artic Blime 182
I was just about to search how to do this and this popped up in the recent posts... thank you! Will be using this guide soon. :approve:

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Very tidy and nice work :)

Would always debadge a 172 for 'sleeper' reasons, not much point with 182 and it's exahusts lol, or trophy sill stickers either lol.

Monaco
Looks odd with only the one badge. I'd get the newer style one to replace the old. Evens it up a bit. IMO of course.

I have noticed the new style sport badge rectifys almost all the niggles stated. The option is always there but it's staying "lop-sided" for now :)

Would always debadge a 172 for 'sleeper' reasons, not much point with 182 and it's exahusts lol, or trophy sill stickers either lol.

This is another thing. I'm not a fan of bragging power. I was very careful in my non-sport project to make clear that it was no speed deamon. This is the same. I certainly don't think the badge adds anything and the aesthetics were annoying me (as you can tell). Admittedly I did think it would be unanimously popular but it looks like a 50/50 split.

My dad just got a new(ish) BMW 335i with 300odd horsepower and he's getting the badges taking off now. Much cooler to keep power on the downlow.

IMO of course ;)