ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault engine tuners in the South

182T
I'm looking for the nearest Renault engine tuner to Portsmouth. I know K-tec is in Verwood but don't believe they have a rolling road.

I need a race engine built for a Williams. Where do people get these engines built in the hampshire area?

regards

Lionel Richie
They do have a rolling road! But an engine builder doesn't need a rolling road or engine dyno, the person mapping it does!

182T
Sharky/Fred, do you rebuild your own engines? I'm really after a place that has worked with these engines before and that knows what they are talking about - maybe I don't need a 'race engine' but an engine I can go race with, if you get my drift.

I've purchased a cheap W2 to harvest some parts for my W1 and will use whats left of the car to go racing, with the addition of some other parts. The engine is rattly atm and I need an accurate diagnosis then a race oriented rebuild.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Try Josh and Mike at CookSport, great quality work. Not exactly local but not a million miles away!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'd be speaking to Sandy Brown Race Engines and / or Nick at Pure Motorsport.

Both down cornwall way.

182T
Cornwall, Bristol, Bedford and Birmingham...or Verwood. I think I might need to accept that I have to travel!. Or attempt it myself.

Is it feasible to send the head off for some work, do the cams and/or TB myself etc then get it mapped locally? I've changed a couple of head gaskets in the past, nothing more. I've got funds to buy some equipment that may be needed.

Last edited:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Sharky/Fred, do you rebuild your own engines? I'm really after a place that has worked with these engines before and that knows what they are talking about - maybe I don't need a 'race engine' but an engine I can go race with, if you get my drift.

I've purchased a cheap W2 to harvest some parts for my W1 and will use whats left of the car to go racing, with the addition of some other parts. The engine is rattly atm and I need an accurate diagnosis then a race oriented rebuild.
Mate - I don't do the rebuilds as I don't have the know-how or facilities but Fred (BTM) is currently building a rather nicely spec'd high-compression forged NA engine for me. :D Fred, Dan@519, names worth keeping in mind. Just be careful where you end up going though as choosing the wrong person/company for the job will cost you a small fortune.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What ECU are you planning on using on it?

As the standard one is horrible with a "race" cam in it, and the number of people prepared to map it at all is very small.

What use are you putting it to, cause to me a race engine is forged pistons and no longer really suitable for daily use as they just dont last anywhere near as long doing cold starts as a standard engine.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
The op wanted a race engine, no?

There are race engines (off the shelf parts built up), & there are RACE engines (bespoke parts, designed & made, then built up) though, Sandy is the latter.

From reading a couple of the chaps posts, i dont think he wants to drop £10k on an engine, he also mentioned k-tec, which suggests Sandy wouldnt be the right person.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
There are race engines (off the shelf parts built up), & there are RACE engines (bespoke parts, designed & made, then built up) though.

From reading a couple of the chaps posts, i dont think he wants to drop £10k on an engine, he also mentioned k-tec, which suggests Sandy wouldnt be the right person.

TBH even the guys on here who are racing with their clios dont have anything like what I would consider a race engine, as they are racing in series intended for more mild cars in the first place (although getting less so every year!)

As a bare minimum I'd expect solid lifters and big rpm for example before I considered it a race engine, I have previously included solid lifters in road/trackday engine builds for example!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
There are race engines (off the shelf parts built up), & there are RACE engines (bespoke parts, designed & made, then built up) though, Sandy is the latter.

You are assuming.

The op asked for someone to build him a race engine. I recommended someone who is good at building proven race engines.

If the op had asked for someone to fit a set of cams and itb's, then I'd have suggested a whole load of other people.

I can only go by the information provided David!!

182cup & 172 racecar
TBH even the guys on here who are racing with their clios dont have anything like what I would consider a race engine, as they are racing in series intended for more mild cars in the first place (although getting less so every year!)

As a bare minimum I'd expect solid lifters and big rpm for example before I considered it a race engine, I have previously included solid lifters in road/trackday engine builds for example!

You are right, I wouldn't consider mine to be a full race spec engine at all.