ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Clio RN budget racer noottaur

Renault Clio Rn 1991
Hi, here is my mk1 Renault Clio RN what i'm trying to build, a little bit by time, to a racing machine :approve:

At first, when i bought it, it looked like this.. nothing special.
large_16468900_l07B.jpg

large_16468911_ZWg0.jpg

large_16468935_8KNW.jpg

large_16468924_jOK5.jpg

large_19505439_tEjF.jpg

Now, i year later ( some pic-s of the job's i've done with it ):
large_20570911_trIf.jpg

large_20570925_EpCq.jpg

large_20570939_aHIL.jpg

large_20570951_lOtp.jpg

large_20570957_rwle.jpg

large_20570961_V3B3.jpg

large_20570971_5wvw.jpg

large_20571043_LU3l.jpg

large_20570981_avwh.jpg

large_20768901_5Eu3.jpg
large_20785039_dPXG.jpg

large_20768893_FPtd.jpg

large_20768921_Jx2G.jpg

large_20768931_AJSd.jpg

large_20837389_1kgh.jpg

large_20837393_xBan.jpg

The air box and the other fiberglass thingy are now painted matt black and are waiting for assembly. The other things i've done exept for mending the brakes, some bodywork, fitted a new front windshield, new cat and newly welded exhaust system are so minor that i didn't even bother to take pictures of them. So far i've been repairing the car so it would pass MOT, cause it expired 6 months ago and the next time i got to the MOT i didn't pass cause the CO level was too high up and the brakes were a little bit dodgy.

Now when that's all fixed ( i havent got around to have a MOT yet cause i still need new tyres cause the old ones are so worn out ) i have been planning to improve my car so that i could race with it.
The car only has a 1.2litre engine but it's as nimble as a mouse running for it's life :D
I have been looking for a new engine.. a 1.6l i persume
10884995.jpg

it lookes like a mess but it has 25 more kw than the original 1.2l engine so it could make a noticeable difference in the performance. The car only weighs 840kg and that's not a hole lot for a 1.6 to handle. I would probably get the engine for like 400dollars or so ( it includes the electronics, the gearbox and a hole lot of moving parts like the gearbox leaver and so on.. ) but i first wanted to check here, if anyone has done a change like this and how did they were with the results.
The car will get a wide body kit and some wheel flanges for better handling and new suspension but all of that will not get me going faster than like 140km/h max what takes a hole lot of time to get and i don't beleave that will be enough. I will be taking on different street legal cars what i beleave have a bigger engine on nowardays anyway.

Renault Clio Rn 1991
Got the air filter box and the fiberglass thingy painted and in place but i still need a pipe to go between them. Otherwise the fiberglass thingy doesn't too anything useful :D

Looking for a new engine also. Found a 1.6l 66kw 8 valve one for good price and i think it's the winner cause i have been reading a lot of mk1 project's that have like 1.8l 16valve to 2.0 16valve engines and theire not so reliable at all :(
The 8 valve one would be cheaper to modify also though it only has 8 valves and the cost half the price as 16 valves :rasp:
I'm not too worried about the power cause i can always put a turbocharger on it and modify the intake what doesn't cost that much at all if you have set a target what power youre going after and not going grazy about it :D

I have set a little target, when i would like to get my car ready for race. It's the 9th of october when there's a rally not far where i live, so i'm pretty sure i've got the time to get my car properly going about then.

Last edited:
  '93 Clio Williams
Ah man, the 1.8/2.0 Litre engines aren't unreliable if you look after them right... The 1.8 isn't as strong as the 2.0 but still a decent lump.

Seriously, if you want to make a racer, the 1.6 8v is a waste of your cash... (IMO)

Also, they both have 4 cylinders... Unless you're replacing the actual valves it's not really going to save you any cash.

Renault Clio Rn 1991
Well.. let's see. There isn't any of the 2.0l 16v engines available in my country, that i afford. I can't buy anything before 10th of september ( then i will get my salary ) cause i have to pay for my car license and buy some other stuff for myself this month.

Focus RS mk1
dude those front discs are fuc£ed!!! you may aswell gone the whole hog and uprated the discs and pads for some really good ones

Renault Clio Rn 1991
On monday morning i went to the garage not far from my home to start changing the rear brake hoses for some new ones. I got that done in like 1.5hours or so but then there came another problem. Douring the brake bleeding there was a leak next to the gas tank ( a steel brake pipe was bent douring my hose changing procedure and it had snapped a hole in it ). I decided to change the pipes that come behind the engine to the back in copper ones but i haven't got the money yet to buy them :(
Then i took a screwdriver and poked around in the wheel arches and stuff ( yes, IN the wheel arches cause there's a hole in botch sides :( ). That wasn't the thing i needed at all. I was hoping to buy a bigger engine next month but it wouldn't be a smart thing to do. The body must be perfect before i can move forward in the build so i looked at the prices of the body part's that were shot and it didn't seem like the end of the world yet. When i do all the welding myself and all the painting and such then i will stay in budget to get my car race ready for the 9th of october.
Although.. i wouldn't be able to buy another engine :(
I have decided that when i get my car welded and all sorted then i'll upgrade the front and rear brakes and maybe get someone to weld me a new inlet manyford so i can run injectors not the outdated injection system i got at the moment.

But all can change douring the next month :rasp: