ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing top mounts with Koni dampers??!

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
Ok, tried searching, no luck. I have Koni (not sure if adjustable or not) dampers and am trying to remove my top mounts. They don't seem to have allen key sockets in the middle of the 21mm nuts like the standard ones are supposed to. They have a 10.5mm or 11mm nut, with a little tab that spins. Could this be a damping adjuster? They don't click though but do spin freely.

When I try "shocking" the 21mm nut with a socket, as kind of expected the top of the dampers just spin.

Tried using mole grips (yes, slight bodge, but Halfords don't sell any 21mm dished or dogleg spanners!) on the 21mm nut and got an 11mm socket on the nut on the shock and the socket rounded. Tried a 10mm and it wouldn't fit.

Would an impact wrench work? I'm assuming it helps with the car on the ground to push the shocks onto the struts? What about a bent 21mm spanner on the big nut and mole grips on the silly little 10.5mm nut on the damper? Is it usually a fair bit of torque that needs to be applied?

Thanks!!
:S

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Car on the Ground and take it to a Garage and ask if they would quickly hit Both Bolts with their Impact Wrench

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
Car on the Ground and take it to a Garage and ask if they would quickly hit Both Bolts with their Impact Wrench

Yeah this was a suggestion by a mate at work.... it seems like they spin fairly easily though with the breaker bar and socket, I find it difficult to see how an impact wrench wouldn't do the same, or am I not getting the idea of an impact wrench? Hope it works, need this done by sat. Thanks for suggestion. :)

impact gun should get them off, them spinning freely is the shaft spinning aswell i would have thought

i had koni on my 1.4 they are really awkard being top adjustible, need a swan neck spanner and a smaller spanner ontop just below the adjuster but as u said its rounded off only way is an impact gun

soak them in wd40 or something like that first