ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing strut mounts

Clio 172 Track(ish)
Argggh! Don't know where I'm going wrong here, trying to remove to the strut mounts to fitting my ast's and coilovers.
44419713.jpg

Can't get a spanner onto this nut! A 21mm socket fits it but I can't then use the Allen key to hold the piston while I loosen the nut. Have looked for a swan neck spanner but can't find any in 21mm. Was suggested that I grab the piston under the arch with mole grips (I'm junking the struts anyway) but they won't grip enough. Any suggestions?

See how deep it is?!

64353f7b.jpg

Westy. MX5
The favourite idea for removing these nuts is go to a local friendly garage who'll loosen them with an impact gun, then you can drive home and do your stuff.

Clio 172 Track(ish)
Ok thanks both for the quick reply. I'll put it back together and pop down the local garage.

clio 5door sport rep
me and my mate done this the other day. we couldnt get a swan neck spanner for love nor money...

we improvised using the 21mm head from a ratchet that wasnt completed round but angled. it that makes sense.... then we used mould grips to grab onto that.... and we stuck the hex key through the middle... worked like a charm. hopefully that makes a bit of sense

172cup turbo & rx8
me and my mate done this the other day. we couldnt get a swan neck spanner for love nor money...

we improvised using the 21mm head from a ratchet that wasnt completed round but angled. it that makes sense.... then we used mould grips to grab onto that.... and we stuck the hex key through the middle... worked like a charm. hopefully that makes a bit of sense

That's exactly how I done mine recently!