ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing seized strut tops???

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
The strut tops on Donny_Dog's 172 are well and truly seized. After what must have been 45 minutes of trying, half a can of Plusgas, numerous poundings with a hammer and a bent allen key, we were stumped.

The method we used was:
Ring spanner on the strut top, allen key in the centre of the strut then a ring spanner on the end of the allen key to increase length and therefore leverage. All this did was bend and twist the allen key.

The only way I can think we will stand a chance is by using a pneumatic air gun.

Any other ideas?

Clio 1.4 16v
Mine where quite seized, i used an adaptor piece on my 1/2" ratchet set with the correct allen key end

Tin Can with wheels
had the same problem, the way that worked for me, was to actually tighten the nut (only a little) to free it up then back it off. worth a shot

good luck

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Mine where quite seized, i used an adaptor piece on my 1/2" ratchet set with the correct allen key end

What was the adaptor piece?

I can't see how a regular allen key would stand the pace.

Mazda MX5 1.8
i had more success with an impact wrench thingymebob in order to loosen it enough to use the ring spanner & allen key (not the short ones - one attached to a rachet spanner)

I had exactly the same problem, drove it down to the local garage who put the impact gun on it, came off no problems.

Mat.