ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing Factory Immobiliser Issues? j3ned etc...

As i understand it, my DIET 1.2 8v has an immobiliser built into it which lives under the centre console. Ideally i'd like to remove it and simplifiy the wiring on the car but can anyone tell me if its tied to the ECU in anyway?

Also, i only got one key with the car, is it supposed to have some kind of gay master key or something to deal with the ECU/immobiliser? I assume not as the battery has been off plently of times without any issues.

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
the imobiliser requires the ECU and UCH afaik, it a modular immobiliser in that sense. So yes it is tied to the ECU, more so than you'd think.

There isnt a master key for the clio.

Reason i ask is i'm thinking of sticking a cheap 1.8 16v in (instead of cam'ing/headwork'ing the 1.2)...i'm bothered that if i do, the 1.2 Immobiliser will arse things up and prevent the 1.8 firing up.

I assume the rest of the wiring will be ok for the tranplant...

mk1 Ph2 Clio 16v turbo
If you use a phase 1 1.8 16v ecu and engine loom it'll work fine. Transponder immobilisers just send a code to the ecu that must be recognised to unlock it. If you put a dumb ecu in there the code will just be sent to nowhere and the ECU will carry on regardless

That sounds good news then! :)

TD172 - I notice you've a 'phase 3/williams hybrid' listed on your profile...is that as in a williams engine in a phase 3 shell. If so you must have done what i'm hoping too...any problems you can forsee? I'm hoping its a staright forward case of dropping the engine in box in but i'm a little unsure of the electronics and how the engine loom mates to the 1.2 car loom...will it plug straight in and everything work?

mk1 Ph2 Clio 16v turbo
Yeah that's right mate. I've left the transponder in there as I think the central locking is wired through it but basically it sends it's code to knowwhere now and everything works a treat.

Apparently if the 1.8 ecu is an immobiliser one, you can unlock it by having access to the donor car and entering a code through the button on the wiper stalk but that's a lot more hastle. Better just getting a phase 1 loom and ecu as you know it's totally immobiliser free.

Everything else just plugged in behind the battery so there was no messing/bodging with wiring at all. Only other things I had to get were the power steering pipes and things like exhaust downpipe and cat with it being a williams.

mk1 Ph2 Clio 16v turbo
Oh yeah, and having no removable slam pannel wasn't really a problem either. I had had a few sleepless nights worrying over it but it wasn't a problem in the end. The only other thing was having to cut out a small section from inside the bonnet as it rubbed on the inlet manifold but that was easy to do with the old dremel wizzard. lol

Excellent!

Can i ask though, as as RSI yours will have had the ignition coil already in place...mines doesn't....it should just be case of getting a 16v one, bolting it on and plugging the loom in (i think thats all it connects too)?

Beyond that i guess you've answered everything...did you do the conversion on your own or is it a 2 man job...approx time to do it?

Cheers!

mk1 Ph2 Clio 16v turbo
The coil was already there but you will just be able to put any coil from a valver in and it'll work fine, all the wiring for the coil is part of the engine loom.

I did 99% of the conversion my self and called in a none mechanic mate to help navigate the rear gearbox bracket safely around the PAS pipes.

I thouroghly enjoyed doing this conversion as it's a really methodical job and everything fits like a glove first time.

The only problem I've got now is that the plonker that sold me the engine and box had dropped little needle rollers into the gearbox and not told me so after 5 miles of driving the box broke so I've got to change it.

mk1 Ph2 Clio 16v turbo
Cool. Obviously I've missed out a few bits like fitting a 16v throttle cable and coupling fuel lines but all those things become obvious when you mill the ideas around your head. All great great fun!

Yep, already thought about the throttle and speedo cables...fuel lines shouldn't be a problem either - trip to halford for some piping and its done.

I may send you the odd PM if i may once i start....cheers once again tho.

mk1 Ph2 Clio 16v turbo
Forgot to say as well It only took about 1 day in work to do but with all the rain, snow, etc I had to do it over 3 days of sunny spells when I could

Another quick question, can you tell me if you used the 16v mounts during the conversion? Reason i ask is that theres mention of the phase 3 subframe being a different shape causing the sump to catch on it preventing fitting? Apparently 16v mounts may lift it enough otherwise it'll be a hammer job...