ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing dash incl weight saving

Arctic 182
Dudes and dudettes,

I've ordered a flocked dash for my road/ track car as I think they look so pwetty. I will therefore be removing the top dash. I've found the guide and it looks nice and easy.

Question; what is behind the dash that I could remove to save weight whilst still maintaining usability of the car.I.e. I don't have a problem removing the passenger airbag as I have four points, I would however want to retain the clocks. I don't really want to change how the dash looks so removing vents etc is not an option for me.

So; what's behind the dash? Sound deadening? If so then how much and would I need to remove the bottom dash to get at it? Is it the tar like sound deadening or a more foam type deadening?

I'm going to remove the headunit eventually and replace with a blank (because track car).

Potentially a silly question; once I've removed the airbag what is a safe way to dispose of it?

Pretty much nothing you could remove other than sound deadening. It's the foam type. Here's a picture of my track car with the top and bottom dash removed but nothing else taken out, bit hard to make out whats going on there because it was before I tidied everything up. As for the airbag, you're best off taking it to a breakers yard/scrapyard to and get them to get rid of it, very unlikely it'd go off without a power source or flame but its best not to risk it.

IMG_3884.JPG

IMG_3958.JPG

Arctic 182
Pretty much nothing you could remove other than sound deadening. It's the foam type. Here's a picture of my track car with the top and bottom dash removed but nothing else taken out, bit hard to make out whats going on there because it was before I tidied everything up. As for the airbag, you're best off taking it to a breakers yard/scrapyard to and get them to get rid of it, very unlikely it'd go off without a power source or flame but its best not to risk it.

View attachment 149806
View attachment 149807
Wicked, cheers. Assume the bottom dash needs to be removed to access the sound deadening?

Wicked, cheers. Assume the bottom dash needs to be removed to access the sound deadening?

Most likely, yeah. There's a load of clips everywhere behind the lower dash holding the sound deadening in. Some of it is also held in by the metal support that hold the airbag and steering wheel (is there a name for it?), not as simple as just unclipping it and pulling it off due to all the stuff in front of it.