ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing ball joint stem bolt

Any tips? Mine is rock solid. :(

Trying to replace the ball joints. Got the nut off no problem. Just trying to get the bolt out.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Ball joint splitter.
If you event got a splitter, then screw the nut on a few threads and then absolutely t**t it with a hammer. The reason for putting the nut on a few threads is to stop the ball joint from mushrooming too much.

So I'm on the right track, bash the s**t out of it :) been bashing it for ages.

Can't put the nut back on as the thread is now fooked. Good job there's a new one in the kit.

Yeah the bolt is what holds the stem in place.

Will try turning the wheel for more access. Never thought of that.

Thanks

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Sorry, I misread what the OP was asking. Have you tried undoing the bolt even though it hasn't got a nut on?

206,172 Cup,focus,X5
Use a punch to push the bolt out, the bottome of the bolt is pressed in anyway so the punch sits on the bottom of the bolt perfectly , just took mine out today, lots of lube ;) and banged it right out.

Had to use a joint braker to get the ball joint out of the hub and some super glue to repair the boot :quiet::banghead:

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
If all else fails, heat the bolt up and smash it out with a Center punch tool

Assuming your ball joint is the type that the bolt goes through the hub, and hold the ball joint in the space.

Not a ball joint with the thread on for a nut

Bashed it with a hammer backwards and forwards with the help if wd40. Didn't take too long actually. So much easier with the wheels turned.

Actual ball joint was fun to remove but got there in the end.

Just need to fit the new on and then tacke the other side. But least I know what to do so want take as long.

Clio 172 182 197 200
the pinch bolt can be naughty, as Dan says we normaly get it with the Gun, and it comes out, but ive seen then when they wont come out with out a lot of hitting

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
If hitting doesn't work, take some MTFU pills and hit it harder (or with a bigger hammer) :p

Just started the passenger side. ALOT easier that the drivers side getting the stem bolt out.

Just need to bash the ball joint out now and fit the new one.