ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing ABS

172, BMW 650i & X5
Have a Ph1 172 I only use for track.

Thinking of removing the ABS and fitting cup set up.

I know mechanically I need cup master cylinder and rear compensator valves from cup for correct bias. After that I need to fab up some lines.

Question is, does this affect ecu or any electronics?
Is this just a mechanical swap over?

Many thanks

@bloke would you be able to do this to mine, but instead of the cup bias valve set-up have a bias valve fitted inside the car? Would also want new lines making up from the MC back?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
On later phase 2 the abs rings on the driveshafts take the drive. Not all phase 2’s, cup etc.

The phase 1 is on the box. No changes.

Ive not long ago bought all the parts needed for an abs delete but mines a ph2, so im not going to have a speedo?! Is there anything I can do?

Ordered a 197 4 port mc from Latvia as well..

dan's cast offs.
Ive not long ago bought all the parts needed for an abs delete but mines a ph2, so im not going to have a speedo?! Is there anything I can do?

Ordered a 197 4 port mc from Latvia as well..

172 or 182?

yup, you end up with no speedo. can be sorted with a hall sender set up easy enough though.

I have until april (mot) to sort this. Thanks mate

I was reading up on mot and someone said they might not see if it doesnt work or not? On the brake test they would?

dan's cast offs.
What' that set Up??
I'm in the same boat ,2005 182 to remove abs.

For mot it will pass aslong as ALL the system has been removed

need a hall sender and connect it to the signal wire to the speedo from the abs ecu wiring. don't know what pin it's on though sorry you'll have to get an ecu pin out for it.

I know mechanically I need cup master cylinder and rear compensator valves from cup for correct bias.

I'm looking at doing this as well, but I don't understand why do you need the cup master cylinder? What's wrong with doing a T-split up front? I understand about the rear compensator, but can't you use that with the standard master cylinder, and just using one exit for the front?

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
If it' a road going car for mot your supposed to have a diagonal split.
I.e. one port powers front left and rear right.
One powers front right and rear left and the rear compensator sorts the bias front to rear and as the rear suspension moves up and down it opens and closes the valves for more or less pressure depending on how much weight the vehicle is carrying.
This is so if one Pipe splits you can still brake and come to a safe stop by using the oppsite diagonal line.

For track use the rear compensator wants ripping out for and in car adjustable bias valve as the rear brake barely work with standard set up and under hard brake the car nose dives which in turn shuts the compensator off because the back is lifting up.

Regarding the Master Cylinders, is the 172 cup one just 2 ports and the 182 4 ports?

On my cup I just ran a single line to the rears through the car into the bias valve where I could reach it whilst strapped in the when it came to the rear axle T peice it back into 2 lines

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Just done some eBay research.

The cup none abs MC is a 4 port one. One pipe to each corner.
The 172/182 abs MC is a 2 port one. 2 pipes go into the abs unit and 4 pipes come out.
So I personally will be getting a cup MC for my track car. The 2 fronts will have their own pipes and the rears I will T-peice straight out of the MC and run one Pipe to the back with a bias valve and then T peice back into 2 pipe at the rear axle.

182 trackcar, XC60t6
Good discussion. So,,,,,for a 182 non cup, track only car,,,can the abs be removed without changing master cyl?? Sounds like yes but the speedo won’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Yes you can use the Origional MC.
Single pipe to a T-peice and then one line to each front brake caliper. Single line through the car to a driver controlled bias valve inside and the T-peice at the rear axle to each rear caliper.

The Speedo is still a work in progress Iv not got to the bottom of it yet. Surely you can pick up of the speed sensor on the abs rings and splice it into the clock wires ? But not sure

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
I believe you need a custom ABS ring (8 teeth or something) and a hall effect sensor wired to the clocks (speed input), or you can pick that up at the bulkhead connector and into the loom that way.

Be interesting to know exactly how to wire it up though to an ABS car, @bloke do you think it needs to be done to the original ECU wiring?

dan's cast offs.
Hall sender and signal through to the dash with the original signal wire from and ecu fwir.

182 trackcar, XC60t6
Cool. Maybe just use a phone GPS showing speed for track use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk