ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removed carbon canister.....How to turn the toxic fume light off?

RenaultSport 172
Ok so I've been stupid and thrown the carbon canister away so I can't plug the solenoid back in.
Anyone know what resistors I can use to fix this? Or is there another way?
Thanks
Steve

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Hello mate, you need to fit an inline resistor between the wires, from memory its something like 23ohms, but you need to make sure its a decent size otherwise they overheat, I got mine from maplins, its like a long rectangular type, as the normal bulb types get too hot, mines soldered in and cable tied to the aircon pipe.

Oh and do yourself a favour, don't sign your name on the bottom of each post, It seems to send some people on here into orbit.....

Last edited:
Im sure when i removed the carbon canister from mine it didnt put the light on can you read the codes to make sure it is actually that?

Regards
Matt

RenaultSport 172
It's too much of a coincidence considering the light came on straight after removing the thing.

Thanks @Willo40 I'll have a look at Maplin :)

does the light need to be reset before it stays off? it might have logged a fault which won't go off until the fault has been erased.

i took my carbon canister off ages ago and replaced it with a resistor from maplins and my engine management light has never come on but i do always get a fault code saying that the charcoal canister is not working.

do you have any access to code reading equipment? you can buy super cheap ones of ebay for like £15-20 which would do the job of resetting the light and is cheaper than pretty much all garages i know off would charge for a code read and fault erase. like i said i don't know if it is a fault where when it is logged on the ECU it just keeps the light on until it's erased.

i also don't know if this works on a clio but some cars if you leave the battery disconnected over night they will reset the engine management and forget any fault code memory. i would have though it should work so it's worth a try.

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I just got round to fitting this resistor today and it didn't turn the light off. Any ideas why?
I got a local Auto elec to fit mine, and from memory the light just went out mate, but he could well have reset the fault code....

RenaultSport 172
Anyone near Wickford that can reset this for me? I assume it's an mot failure? I tried turning the ignition on with the info button held but it didn't come up with any faults