ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

remove 172 aircon

172 turbo & BMW 1m
hi,anyone used a shorter belt on the 172 to do away with the aircon
been told you get a gain of between 7 and 10 bhp

do i just use a cup aux belt?
cheers

Cro

Meg'd r27
You'll be needing the cup belt, cup alternator, cup alternator brackets, some niftyness with the PAS pipes to get rid of it. As for expecting 7-10...........no

172 turbo & BMW 1m
You'll be needing the cup belt, cup alternator, cup alternator brackets, some niftyness with the PAS pipes to get rid of it. As for expecting 7-10...........no

the guy at a local garage said to use a smaller belt and redirect it and i could use the same alternator and just leave the a/c unit whare it is

5 gt turbo Raider & 172
I dont run aircon but the pump is still in use via the belt, its just been disconnected,

I was looking to get rid of it altogeather but after some search on here i cant be bothered to run the cup alt bracket and alt

Its just more expense at no gain

172 turbo & BMW 1m
I dont run aircon but the pump is still in use via the belt, its just been disconnected,

I was looking to get rid of it altogeather but after some search on here i cant be bothered to run the cup alt bracket and alt

if you just changed the belt so it didnt go round the a/c pulley would that not free up abit more power

B/G 182 + PH1 Track

Most of the "gain" from removing the Aircon, comes from removing the weight though.

You may get 1-2bhp? But as said its more about weight, and cheaper cambelt changes is what im looking at.

You cant use the same alternator iirc? Has to be the cup one?

But 7-10 bhp, i wish!!!

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
is the unit itself quite heavy?does the heating work ok when you remove it

The aircon system is heavy thats why the track goers remove it, also as said above it makes cambelt changes easier.

The Fans still work. untill you rip the full heater matrix out :eek: )

And u need a new alternator as well as all the brackets.

Last edited:
  Coupe/Defender V8
You may get 1-2bhp? But as said its more about weight, and cheaper cambelt changes is what im looking at.

You cant use the same alternator iirc? Has to be the cup one?

But 7-10 bhp, i wish!!!

Ideally need a cup alternator but all that's different is the outer plastic casing iirc? K-tec managed to modify a standard F4R alternator for my removal

You save about 7-8kg I think (With aircon removal)

Last edited:

Cro

Meg'd r27
The brackets on the cup alternators are differently placed from the normal ones. on the cup i think they are 180degrees apart and the normal is 130degrees

what do people do about the power steering pipe as the sensor on mne hits the radiator with the cup altenator on !!! radiator is currently in pisssseeeddd at the moment due to it not fitting properly

can you bend the pipe without it breaking, or just take the sensor out of it and weld it up , or will the power steering light stay on constantly

Coupe/Defender V8
Have you bent the pipe salty?

Yes, It's been on for about 5 months now without problem. Just got some silcon and foam over it to make sure initially. Tis fine though. Like croc says it's fairly pony metal but doesn't need to be bent much. At least not on the Ph1, not sure if theres any differences. Speak to K-tec otherwise. They offer the entire package

TrackCar & F30 330d
I re routed my AC pipes.

Not sure it this pic is of any help

IMG_3734.jpg

H

Huffski

why do you need a cup altenator when removing the a/c why cant the standard one still be used