ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

remote start alarm

Clio 182, Mercedes S320CD
What do you mean by insurance issues? I was interested it getting this done myself. Also would this disable the immobiliser if the car was to be hot wired?

RB 182
Viper VX480, if I remember the number correctly. You can have loads of extras on it, also comes with a remote to show the status of the car.

bump, whats the cheapest? doesnt have 2 be approved or anything, just remote start, could even be one of those foreign jobbies

Arctic blue 182ff
my m8 had his directed one bought and fitted around 300notes

not sure in model number...

182 has now gone!
Clifford do one.. Not sure how much
I was quoted £350 for a Clifford alarm, so not sure how much with the remote start..

But they are insurance approved, so could possibly lower your premium....

mk3 golf gti
i have one, its a toad one, its insurance approved and category 1thatcham. never had a problem with it, works from just far enough away to s**t people up!! would deffo recommend it mate

got a model number?

looking for a cheapo just remote start not bothered out alarm, my mate got one for £5 from pakistan and its mint!

bit dangerous tho as once its started u can drive off once u unlocked door so u dnt hav to insert key lol

mk3 golf gti
its an a1061 i think, with mine the key has to be in the ignition to unlock the steering, and with the alarm and immobaliser it was 300 quid fitted. its ace starting it from the bedroom on a cold morning knowing its going to be warm and de-iced when i get in!

mk3 golf gti
it is cheap mate. personally i'd rather pay a bit more to get a renowned system. i just think what if something goes wrong?

true say.. however whats the worst that cud happen if they went rong?

sorry i dont know much about them, so dont know if it means my car will be stolen easier lol

1.2 Dynamique
Hey there,
Just to let you know that TurboRevs alarm wont work properly over here in the UK, my brother bought that exact same one for his car (Nissan Micra) went to get it fitted at a proper place, half way through the guy stopped and told my brother that some of the features wouldn't work and wasn't worth putting it in.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
i have one, its a toad one, its insurance approved and category 1thatcham. never had a problem with it, works from just far enough away to s**t people up!! would deffo recommend it mate

Yoy do know that it is not a Cat 1 alarm once the remote start is fitted?

As per post below, taken from a Thatcham forum rep:

I’m sorry, but you don’t seem to be grasping the Thatcham Criteria that's in question here at all.

I’ve studided the Thatcham criteria again today and confirmed this now during a conversation with Thatcham, so this is the definitive answer:

Remote Start Devices

An alarm system that incorporates a full Remote Start feature will not meet 95/54 EC approval, and without this European approval such systems will not even be considered by “Thatcham” for Cat 1 approval, now or in the future

Fact.

- you may want to ask further questions of any rep who tells you that they have such a product on the way.

Adding a Separate Remote Start unit to your vehicle will render the Thatcham approval of any existing Cat 1 alarm system fitted to the vehicle void.

As well as the contravention of 95/54 EC, the fact that leaving
“an unattended vehicle in a public place with the engine running” contravenes the UK “Construction and Use Regulations”.
Fact.

Turbo Timers

Providing that these are wired “in-series” with the Cat 1 systems immobilisation circuits (ie in such a way that if the immobiliser goes open circuit, then the engine will be cut) and provided that the Timer does not allow the engine to run for longer than 60 seconds (not 30 seconds as my previous posts – my apologies) after the ignition is turned off or the ignition key removed, then this is acceptable.

However, if the Timer is wired in parallel to the immobiliser (ie effectively by passing the immobiliser) or if it allows the engine to run for longer than 60 seconds after the ignition is turned off or the ignition key removed, then it will also render the Thatcham approval of any existing Cat 1 alarm system fitted to the vehicle void.

Fact

There is another potential problem here, as increasing the effective length of the immobilisation circuits (by connecting the Timer "in series" as required) may cause reliability/starting problems due to the increased resistance in the circuits.

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
he still wants one though......

i imagine insurance would go sky high, or they wont even insure you if you have it fitted.