ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

REMOTE OFF OF STANDARD STEREO

hi, i have a 172 mk 1, and want to run an amp and sub off of my standard head unit, i have bought an rca converter so i can run the sub but do not know where to take the on/off power to the amp from, usually it is the blue wire on an uprated head unit but i see on the standard head unit there is only a perminant 12 volt supply on the back and no switched 12 volt???

has anyone done this?? if so how?????

thanxs :)

Mk2 Golf GTI

Dont you need something called a hi-line input? tbh its a bit of a waste running a sub and amp off a standard head unit.

The rca converter you have will be fine, when trying to run an amp from a non rca enabled head unit you have a choice of using rca converters as you are or getting an amp that can take line level inputs.

Ref: remote power switch I have recently been considering this for a friend who wishes to add an amp to a 2001 seat ibiza (has the whole integrated climate control/stereo unit) I think the easiest option would be to run a blue wire from the amp to the front of the car and place a switch into it before connecting it to the permanent red wire on the back of the stereo. That should work ok and then you can just flick the switch when you get in and out of the car.....Alternatively run the remote wire from the acc switch part of the ignition.

Best bet is to speak to an auto electrician or have a look at seatcupra.net and ask on there as I am sure there will be many on there that have done it. On our own forumd Matt Arundale had a mate who had a sub in his ibiza so maybe ask him?!

hope that helps

was just thinking - there must be a switched feed to the standard stereo as it does switch on and off with the ignition so why cant it run from that?!

Polo + Micra

yeah there must be a switched live coming from your igniton to tell the hu to come on

sorry dont know what happened there with the reply, as i was saying, yes there is a switched live on the ignition but this only sends a pulse to the headunit to turn it on and off when the key is turned and does not give a constant 12v switched supply depending on ignition position. a switch sounds the easiest option, dont really want to start touching the ignition, the only prob with a switch is if u forget to turn it off you could end up with a flat battery, maybe ill put an indicator light on it.

well theres got to be other switched lives from the ignition, just a matter of thinking of one! doesnt the lcd screen light up when the ignition comes on? how about that?

yeah i think it does, had an easier idea, the ciggarett lighter is only live when the ignition is on + its easy to get to so am just gonna link the remote off of that. sorted!!!