ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Remote locking/water/Ariel argh help!

Ive got a 94 RT

The wonderfully common problem of the leaky ariel point happened to me yesterday... I had actually sealed it with silicone 2 years ago but the b*****d leaked again.....

I found out as a drove forward yesterday and water sloshed through the overhead light compartment soaking my leg.. grr!

The worst thing is it sloshed over the remote central locking reciever and it wouldnt work at all.

Today I took the compartment apart and re siliconed the ariel and tightened the nut which seems to have worked (for the next 2 years at least lets hope) However the key remote doesnt work unless it is literally 1/2 an inch away from the sensor. Luckily this isnt causeing the alarm to go haywire as I had the alarm disconnected from the system after problems.

I had the car delocked after an attempted break in so what this means is at the moment i can only get in and out of the car locking it inside and leaving via the boot :-(

Ive got a really bad feeling the sensor isnt gonna improve - even tryed a hair dryer on it today.

What are my opinions? Im thinkinging Im gonna have to go to a dealer and pay for them to give me a new sensor to match my key and fit it which no doubt ill have to wait a week for :-( any one have an idea how much this will cost or an idea for an alternative

Either buy a second hand one off a scrap yard or take the sensor out (you may have a take the mirror off) and but it in the cuboard with the hot water tank in your house for about 3 days to make sure all moisture is out of it - if you leave it in the car, condensation just builds up in it. Then give it a good clean. Also it might be worth checking that your battery isnt running low or try reseating the battery - have you tryed your second set of keys?

Thanks for your reply,

Tried the second set of keys no joy...

I dont really know how to get the sensor out it looks pretty much hard wired up to the cabling coming out of the roof :confused:

If i was to get a new sensor from a scrap yard would it work? I though it would be coded to the key or something? I mean my key remote wont unlock another clio?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

..for my old 99 1.2 clio it cost me about 45 quid to replace the sensor and have it fitted (I think the sensor was 20 or so quid) when the same thing happened to me.....

Adrian

Lets hope its a similar amount for my MK1, £45 would be an acceptible relife- was that at a renault garage?

I absolutly brick myself everytime something goes that I dont know how to fix - everything french seems to have an extra 0 added to the parts price.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

..wow...

I looked at the circuit board on mine and there was nothing much on it, there was an atmel IR chip (generic receiver) and a cluster of IR diodes and associated resistors & capacitors for filtering.

Its possible that yours is more complex as you had an alarm... thats quite a price though!

Adrian

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

The sames happend to me this winter. i have to open the door with the lock now but luckily i have them! I tried everything and it hasnt helped! Looks like you need a new one to me! Best of luck on the price you pay though! I got quoted £160inc vat

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

Hmm i had this same problem, but my boot didnt work! and i was stuck at a petrol station, unable to get back into my car.. Luckily an RAC man broke in for me.. However, i took it too my local renault and asked them if they could "look" at it, he took out the reciever, dried it out, and did some soldering, as teh water has corroded the receiver thing.. then it worked again.