ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

remote access - work users (x10)

Rav4
Hi there,

I have x10 users who wish to have remote access.

We don't have citrix in play for those users.

Obviously there is the option of VPN's, however, don't like that as I don't really want to be looking after their home comps, making sure they are clean and so on.

Log me in - great tool but can't really control what they do, but it's certainly an option.

RDP and forward ports to required machines - this looks like a good option.

Any other suggestions or thoughts?

With thanks,

G.

Fiesta ST
Remote Desktop Services Server (Formerly TS Server)? unless price is an issue?

People RDPing into their own PC is ok, but you have to setup all the port forwarding (unless you setup a TS gateway services on 2008 R2)- make sure the PC's IP's don't change (unless you setup a TS gateway services on 2008 R2) and also the PCs have to be left on!

Last edited:
  Rav4
Remote Desktop Services Server (Formerly TS Server)? unless price is an issue?

People RDPing into their own PC is ok, but you have to setup all the port forwarding (unless you setup a TS gateway services on 2008 R2)- make sure the PC's IP's don't change (unless you setup a TS gateway services on 2008 R2) and also the PCs have to be left on!

The alternative is getting them to VPN in, then RDP, this would avoid having to forward ports. Are you against users using logmein free? I'll have a look at RDSS and see what costs are associated to it.

Thanks for your feedback :)

G.

Fiesta ST
Well i like to centrally manage things which is what terminal services gives you. Having to rely on people leaving PC's on etc would do my head in.
Problem with logmein unlike RDP is that people could see what your doing if the monitors on? (unless that can be changed I don't know).

Cupra
We use the RDP option for a couple of users who need access to specific applications that can't be offered in IE. Coupled with on demand RSA tokens, it works reasonably well. We have a "guarantee to the front door of the building" policy though, which means that if a users own machine at home does not work and can't access the portal/ RDP session, then they are not able to use it. There were too many outside factors for the helpdesk here to assist with.