ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Reminder to check those rear arches!

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
With winter coming up I thought I would check the rear arches as there have been a number of posts cropping up about it (particularly PH1s).

Access is easy enough, a combination of lifting the rear bench and folding the back bench gives you access to the lower rear seatbelt anchor bolt. Then if you remove the front seatbelt anchor its then only clips to remove the inner panel (just be careful and disconnect the speaker wire before yanking too hard).

Images below are from my 182 (129k miles), regularly cleaned / detailed etc etc. Overall the car underneath is in excellent condition, sill rails look solid for instance compared to some others I have seen. Yet there was still rust forming on the inner arch (right near the rear drain). I sanded it back and treated with Bilt Hamber Dynax S50 to slow down any further corrosion.

I would definitely recommend a look before we hit the harsher winter weather.

2jOe3XC.jpg

vtMkW5r.jpg

gyUaoZ7.jpg

406 V6, Race Buggy
S50 is a cavity wax, just stops further corrosion, it creeps and flows even after application so it tends to get into and coat everything, it's good stuff.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Yep as @PhillipM said! Its good and comes with a long flexible nozzle to get into the crannies, Put a oil pan or something under the drain holes as it really does seep everywhere!

They seem to rust from the inside out, so its best to take the panels off first rather than the skirts.

406 V6, Race Buggy
I filled my brothers Rover with it when I welded all the sills up and even though it was parked on a steep driveway the damned stuff crept all the way up to the front and dripped out the drainage holes a day or two later. It's like a bad 70's horror movie.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
ai, treated mine earlier this year, both the 172 and the 182. also had the skirts off the 182 and all looked decent enough

172 will get skirts off over the winter but its not in use anyway :)

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I think I'll be having a look at mine on Sunday, I'm not sure what to expect on an 02 plate? almost scared to look.

Land Rover
I fully wax treated mine inside.

You can get to them with an extension spray by removing the rear light units and also the rear trim panels.

Well worth doing

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Such a shame when rust appears like this as usually by the time you see it from the exterior its far too late.
Integra DC2’s were bad for the same, rotting from the inside out