ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Reg help...

(s)Low Dynamique
Ok so I've just ordered a private plate on-line. I know most of you think they are pointless blahblahblah but my great gran died and left me some money in her will, so I bought something that I'll keep for life with the money!

Anyway, I decided not to actually buy the "plates" themselves (as in the physical front+back plate) from the website, as it cost an extra £32. I know for instance on fancyplates you can get a set of front+rear plates for around £18.

My only concern is, are standard UK plates made on fancyplates fully legal? I had a 3/4 plate for my old reg, and police told me multiple times not only was it too small, but there was some important codes or something that should be at the bottom of the plate?

If that's so, can you make a reg fully legal on fancyplates, or is there anywhere else you can buy a completely blank (no sponsors/watermarks) set of plates for cheap?

I'm highly confused, many thanks in advance!

CursedTitanium 182FF
Yes, "standard UK plates" are legal. I got a rear the other day, they come with the makers name and postcode.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
you can get a pair of legal uk plates of ebay for under £10!

theyre have the codes on them, but very small.

Lee

BMW M2C
I bought new 100% legal plates for mine from Fancyplates a few weeks back. The Fancyplates logo and legal crap is nice and small, and I've no longer got a massive dealer advert or crappy blue flag on them!

7014820145_1eacde6571_b.jpg

RS_200_001 by RodStreet, on Flickr

(s)Low Dynamique
Cheers guys, ordered a set of front+back without the GB flag! Not that it really matters, but how come you can make plates without the documentation on fancyplates?

Lee

BMW M2C
Cheers guys, ordered a set of front+back without the GB flag! Not that it really matters, but how come you can make plates without the documentation on fancyplates?

They're classed as show plates, and will fail an MOT, but can be put on for car shows etc.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
They're classed as show plates, and will fail an MOT, but can be put on for car shows etc.

No they won't. Not the standard ones. Mine never have.

As long as the BS mark and the postcode are on, and the text is legally spaced and the right font, they're legal.

Lee

BMW M2C
No they won't. Not the standard ones. Mine never have.

As long as the BS mark and the postcode are on, and the text is legally spaced and the right font, they're legal.

You must have misread what he's asked. He asked why they make them without the legal stuff on. You can specify everything legal, but without the makers postcode and BS data, that makes them show plates and an MOT fail.

Lee

BMW M2C

I assumed by 'documentation' he meant V5/Driving licence/ID that you'd need if you went into Halfords/your local motor factor...?

Could have done actually.

I wondered why they were allowed to sell legal plates without some proof of ID.

(s)Low Dynamique
Could have done actually.

I wondered why they were allowed to sell legal plates without some proof of ID.

Yeah I meant the V5 etc, as said like you need in halfords and other places. Strange, makes it easy for criminals to make dupe plates doesn't it?