ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Refusal Of An MOT Test Certificate

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
The Cup let me down today, failed her MOT.

1. Nearside Headlamp aim beam image kick up to the offside.
2. Offside Headlamp aim beam image kick up to the offside
3. Offside rear shock absorber has a serious fluid leak.
4. Rear exhaust system not adequately supported.
5. Service brake efficiency below requirements.
6. Rear (both) brake recording little or no effort.
Brakes Failures: RBT Service Brake Efficiency 48%

So my question does a rear shock from a PH1 172 fit a cup? were the springs just different?

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Yeh he had a copy of it. I'm only 2% short so I'm taking it back first thing in the morning after I've given it a bit of stick on my way there, see if that get's it up a little. It did have new rear pads and discs 100 miles ago so maybe they havn't quite bedded in.

182 Turbo Project
I have a full set of standard suspension from my 182? They are all in good nick, don't know if that will help mate?

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
No it's not too bad Jim.

I've got a full set Baines, off a Ph1 172. I assume that would fit?

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
It sounds like the bulbs have been fitted wrong. The area that is lit when they are on is the opposite to what it should be, as if it had been fitted with LHD lights.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Yeh I was gona try that, just gently at about 15/20 mph.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
The guy who mot'd it said he checked to see if they were LHD. I can't imagine it be possible to put the bulbs in wrong though, loads of people would be riding around with the same
problem.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
It's going straight on the rollers when I get there to see if they can get a decent result.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Brakes were still no better, getting a reading of about 0.6 and the test station are saying really it should be between 1 and 2. It's had new discs and pads, the valve isn't sticking, calipers are fine and it had a fluid change 8k ago. Anyone got any ideas of what else I could try?

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
My next door neighbour works for Mintex so thought I'd give them a go.

Golf GTD Mk7
1144's? or 1155? might be an issue with getting heat in them to get them to work correctly. Maybe get some cheap standard pads, fit them and retest to rule it out. You don't need anything uprated on the rears anyway really

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
I had a right faff with my rear brakes for the MOT. Make sure they're adjusted so the pads sit as close to the disc as possible. I also used some emery cloth on the discs to increase the friction a little..that just about made them pass!

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Can the load control valve affect brake performance on a cup? Mot station want
to try bipassing it and see if the rear brakes are improved.

Dodgy one
Not enough for you to notice as the front does all the work,

personally if everythings spotless and clean and it's still failing, I can't remember the name for it, at my 'special' garage mine won't fit into the rollers without the bumper on the floor :-/ so it gets tested like a 4wd car (touareg. Audi q7 etc) a mini computer block in the footwell driven around which records the braking efforts I'd imagine in g's and it seems to fly through :)

You can cable tie the bias valve up to the chassis so you get max effort to the rear instead of the normal minimum effort. This is what I do for my MoT these days.

They could do this just to prove there is nothing wrong with the brakes.

I loop a couple of cable ties joined together through the bias valve (brake compensator) lever and then up to a near by bit of the chassis that has a hole in, pull the ties tight.