ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Refurbing polishing Xenon headlights.

Nine468

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Trophy,BMW X5,
Ive managed to get myself a pair of xenon headlights for my car.
Before I fit them ide like to clean up the lenses, as they are a bit cloudy, and slightly scratched.
Whats the best method for doing this.
Any tips greatly appreciated..
I have a "Porter Cable" buffer so can use that if need.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I use the following method;
Mask up the surrounding area so you don't damage any paintwork.
1200 wet and dry paper with lots of water. Lots and lots.
Sand the whole light until its one colour all over. Any patchyness needs to be rubbed out.
On a machine polisher (I use a rotary, never tried it with a DA/Porter Cable) use some heavy-ish cutting compound. I use G3.
Then next up use something to refine it. I use Scholl S40 to get rid of the finest of marks.
Wipe down with IPA
Polish/wax/seal with your chosen products.
Genuinely, it will look as good as new.
Hope that helps.

mk2 clio 172
Sanding and polishing will improve it but as this happens because the uv protection on the plastic breaks down by sanding all you are doing is removing more of the protection and the process will happen again but faster. Best bet is to sand them down with some 1000 grit paper until smooth then lacquer them. The uv protection in the lacquer will stop them breaking down again

Sanding and polishing will improve it but as this happens because the uv protection on the plastic breaks down by sanding all you are doing is removing more of the protection and the process will happen again but faster. Best bet is to sand them down with some 1000 grit paper until smooth then lacquer them. The uv protection in the lacquer will stop them breaking down again
If he seals them afterwards, they'll look like new for a long time.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I do what Daniel said but go to 2000 and 2500 wet and dry prior to polishing.

Then keep on top of them with a sealant.

I doubt any lacquer will adhere properly to a polished surface. If you do it'll probably flake and look worse than before.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
f**k lacquering them, bet they'll look scabby as hell after a year

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Stone chips?

With no decent primer to bond to and a soft plastic base they will chip and peel.