ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Refitting steering wheel with airbag

Clio 172 Ph2

My mate has a Fiesta Zetec S (Yeah, I know I shouldnt swear on these forums ;-) ) but like on most of them, the steering wheel has kinda melted.

We got him a new one from the scrappy the other day and just need to use his existing airbag module.

Having removed the one at the scrappy, I know how to do it, Im just not sure on the putting back together stage! Here is what I plan to do:

1. Disconnect battery and wait half hour for the thing to discharge.
2. Undo two bolts at the back of the steering wheel (airbag unit is then not attached)
3. Carefully pull airbag unit out and remove the two pin cable that goes to it.
4. Change wheel
5. Plug two pin cable back into airbag and refit unit
6. Tighten two bolts at back of steering wheel
7. Reconnect battery.

Its parts 5 and 7 im not sure of.

Ive no idea how these things are triggered and I really dont wanna be putting my head through the window if the bag goes off! Would it go off for reason 5 or 7 ?

Ford have quoted him £100 for just changing it over - most of that is probably the waiting time during discharge!