ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Reducing heat in engine bay on track car

Clio 172 . Subaru
Anyone had issues with the powersteering fluid boiling over due to heat in engine bay,

I use the car on road to drive to and from knockhill for trackdays so dont want to remove it.

Ive removed all sound deadining from engine bay, fog lights and going to run cold air ducts up to try and reduce heat,

Anything else i can do to help reduce temps

Cheers

Tom

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
You may have just answered something from my last spin out round Donnington at FCS.
Went a bit mad and stayed out for 25mins or so (Caused a few issues as in tyres and brakes) but also looked like power steering chamber had liquid all over it- could that be what your referring too?

Sounds like you could've removed the heat shield between the master cylinder/reservoir and manifold, never had a problem with mine even on the hottest track day, gone epas now though.

Clio 172 . Subaru
You may have just answered something from my last spin out round Donnington at FCS.
Went a bit mad and stayed out for 25mins or so (Caused a few issues as in tyres and brakes) but also looked like power steering chamber had liquid all over it- could that be what your referring too?
Yip exactly that. Had sprayed over the inside of bonnet and strut top and over the ps cap. Gave it a quick wipe down and carried on.

Clio 172 . Subaru
Not replaced fluid but thats the next thing to do..

Heat shield is still there but i removed sound deadining after last track day as it was.all split etc.

Never had this issue on ma ph2 but not long had this ph1 so still sorting stuff on it .
Cheers for your help so far lads

Clio 172 . Subaru
Not replaced fluid but thats the next thing to do..

Heat shield is still there but i removed sound deadining after last track day as it was.all split etc.

Never had this issue on ma ph2 but not long had this ph1 so still sorting stuff on it .
Cheers for your help so far lads

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Yip exactly that. Had sprayed over the inside of bonnet and strut top and over the ps cap. Gave it a quick wipe down and carried on.

How you reckon it gets out- as my PAS reservoir cap was on tight as heck
Is there some sort of expansion vent or something?

wonder if its simple to chnage and upgrade the fluid?

Q5 S-Line+
New fluid won't do didly squat. We were running ST in the forrests and on tarmac rally's. had this issue when first got the car and we ended up repositioning the reservoir to the left side of engine bay. Worked a treat. Plenty of threads on doing it. Will make all the difference and penny's to do

Clio 182
Mine did that on my first trackday. Replaced the fluid and run the reservoir on minimum and not had an issue since!
Old fluid will boil easier.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
New fluid won't do didly squat. We were running ST in the forrests and on tarmac rally's. had this issue when first got the car and we ended up repositioning the reservoir to the left side of engine bay. Worked a treat. Plenty of threads on doing it. Will make all the difference and penny's to do

It'll defo make a difference if it was old and s**t enough! I speak from experience, original fluid when the car was 13 years old was defo an oversight! But yeah, agreed, moving the reservoir is gonna be better, a lot of folk do the EPAS conversion but I don't like the feel as much.