ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Recommend me some Headphones

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I've not bought Sony over ears yet but have had them on my list of things to buy for ages, I feel like the worlds most ungrateful person but woman has presented me with a new set of B&W PX7 wireless headphones. My issue is I had mentally already bought the Sonys and also its WAY TOO MUCH MONEY for her to be spending on me.

Not sure whether to just stfu and keep the B&W's or if I should return them and get the 1000XM5's as originally planned. I'm sure the PX7's will sound fantastic but Sony has just smashed it with their wireless headphones over the past few years with things such as mic/call quality, battery life and app.

What an ungrateful snob I am.

Funnily enough my wife bought me B&W headphones once... didn't like them; they hurt my head! They went back. Then I bought Surface Headphones, which were great but had a design flaw. John Lewis replaced them with Surface Headphones 2 free of charge which was good, but they suffered from the same design flaw 🤦‍♂️ so they went back too. Eventually bought some XM4 on the recommendation of MKBHD - They're great. The Verge says as others do, that the XM5 aren't really any better, and a bit of a more annoying design. XM4 on sale would be the ideal purchase really.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Daft question but how do you link wireless head phones to the plane’s infotainment system

Do they come with a Bluetooth adapter that you just plug into the headphone socket

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I've not bought Sony over ears yet but have had them on my list of things to buy for ages, I feel like the worlds most ungrateful person but woman has presented me with a new set of B&W PX7 wireless headphones. My issue is I had mentally already bought the Sonys and also its WAY TOO MUCH MONEY for her to be spending on me.

Not sure whether to just stfu and keep the B&W's or if I should return them and get the 1000XM5's as originally planned. I'm sure the PX7's will sound fantastic but Sony has just smashed it with their wireless headphones over the past few years with things such as mic/call quality, battery life and app.

What an ungrateful snob I am.

I've been using the wireless PX7s for 18 months now having had wired PX5s for a couple of years beforehand.

They're my first wireless ANC headphones so I can't compare ANC ability with alternative headphones, but otherwise I find them flawless in every single way.

Can happily have them on for an entire day of editing, fit and comfort is perfect. That for me is the main thing.

That I've rediscovered some of my old Rush albums, and the detail within I'd never heard before, is a bonus.

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
Daft question but how do you link wireless head phones to the plane’s infotainment system

Do they come with a Bluetooth adapter that you just plug into the headphone socket
These are my XM3’s but you can get the idea. In the case, the rectangle by the wires is a plane adapter (that weird twin prong), the long cable is a headphone cable you plug into the adapter and the INPUT socket on the left headphone. I also have a short charger cable for good measure. From memory, when connected via the cable they work without being on but if you want ANC you need to turn the headphones on.
image.jpg

172 Cup
Annoyingly I seem to have lost my Jabra 65ts! Tried the wifes 85t and they don't fit my ears nearly as well, so looking at the current Jabra lineup they will all probably be the same for me!
Considering splashing out on some Airpods, are they actually worth the premium over other products on the market (I have an iPhone SE so would keep it all apple)?
I fly relatively frequently with work so would want ANC and also wear in the gym/walking dogs so need to be relatively secure.

Also, is there a risk of them being knock-offs from sites such as this:
Quoting myself, but I have just been sent a 30% off code from Jabra (Beach30). Making it tempting to try out some Elite 7s in the hope they fit me better than the 85ts I tried!

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
These are my XM3’s but you can get the idea. In the case, the rectangle by the wires is a plane adapter (that weird twin prong), the long cable is a headphone cable you plug into the adapter and the INPUT socket on the left headphone. I also have a short charger cable for good measure. From memory, when connected via the cable they work without being on but if you want ANC you need to turn the headphones on. View attachment 1648302
so you can turn the headphones on so that the ANC function is active even without them playing music etc.

Never thought of that (y)

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
so you can turn the headphones on so that the ANC function is active even without them playing music etc.

Never thought of that (y)
Yes. You can also just turn them on and have no music playing…need to change the settings to stop then auto shutting down though.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
They are very very good. I am happy.
E_wJBqb2D5oo_-PGup5euVY=w931-h1241-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

For whoever asked - the Sony's come with an aeroplane adapter! Nice touch.

P5PpFaGzrtnOLxBwuJZpHpY=w931-h1241-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

They sound brilliant. I would say better than my B&W PX5's ever did, although I found the B&W's easier to use, you could adjust the noise cancelling but hitting a button on the side. Ultimately the bowers noise cancelling was quieter I think however the Sony's feel more natural - I don't wear them and think I'm buried in a coffin.

Should have bought them ages ago!

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
They are very very good. I am happy.
View attachment 1649342

For whoever asked - the Sony's come with an aeroplane adapter! Nice touch.

View attachment 1649343

They sound brilliant. I would say better than my B&W PX5's ever did, although I found the B&W's easier to use, you could adjust the noise cancelling but hitting a button on the side. Ultimately the bowers noise cancelling was quieter I think however the Sony's feel more natural - I don't wear them and think I'm buried in a coffin.

Should have bought them ages ago!
It was me that asked, I bought some last weekend

Not used them properly yet but my son did point out the controls on the side face. Something I’d not realised 😂😂

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I’d have probably bought those if I could’ve got them as cheap as the Bose I ended up with.

But can’t fault the Bose though, sound great and battery lasts ages. And the noise cancelling is much better than my old AirPods Pro on the latest firmware (they’ve gotten gradually worse).

So pleased I decided to go for some over ears after solely using in ears for so long, more comfortable and sound/perform better.

Not always as convenient, but worth it for the times I’m using them.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
When they drop down to that they are a very good buy. They just looked better than the XM5 for travelling.

Clio 197,with megan'
Ive been, still are, listening/buying headphones/earbuds/dac amps, everything between£3500, and £2., and price does not always equate to sound and build quality. Some of the cheap CiFi is very good. I have just purchased KZ earbuds, 8drivers each side £60 delivered. Wired, can be turned to bluetooth with an adaptor, very comfortable over longer periods, unbeatable for the price. My ears are nearly 83 years olds, so my opinions might not be yours.I could ramble on for hours,( Please don't!.), anyone wants recommendations, happy to advise.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Picked up some of the newer Bose quiet comfort buds during the prime sale. They’re superb, the noise cancelling is better than my over ear Sonys.

997.1, Caddy, e208
Aye, you'd keep those ones and return the £199 ones to Amazon, and if you're lazy like me, you get them collected from your wifes work, so you dont actually do anything, then spend the £30 saved on heroin.

Mk1
I've also just given in and got some XM4's, well happy, the noise cancelling is just amazing. Had a flight which was a very rowdy experience and stressful for all the wrong reasons and I just stood there in the queues' zoning out hahaha. Love them.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Got some of the new Sony buds, wf1000mx5 that all the review bunch are raving over.

Pretty shitty tbh😂. Sound quality is good, but nothing amazing when compared to Bose/apple/samsung options. Noise cancelling isn’t up to the Bose. Transparency mode is really poor, which makes no sense given how good the linkbuds S are. Muffled, really quiet.

Fit is horrendous. The foam/hybrid tips are just garbage. The slightest movement and they lose seal, sound quality drops off a cliff, and they feel like they’re about to fall out. And difficult to try different tips as the wax guard is built into the foam tips instead of the nozzle.

Thankfully Sony returns dept is pretty good!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I'll stick with my 4's then as they're the best buds I've ever used and tried literally everything

997.1, Caddy, e208
Got some of the new Sony buds, wf1000mx5 that all the review bunch are raving over.

Pretty shitty tbh😂. Sound quality is good, but nothing amazing when compared to Bose/apple/samsung options. Noise cancelling isn’t up to the Bose. Transparency mode is really poor, which makes no sense given how good the linkbuds S are. Muffled, really quiet.

Fit is horrendous. The foam/hybrid tips are just garbage. The slightest movement and they lose seal, sound quality drops off a cliff, and they feel like they’re about to fall out. And difficult to try different tips as the wax guard is built into the foam tips instead of the nozzle.

Give you £100 for them

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

They never seem to have got there in comparison to the overheads. The buds pro 2 were outshining them and you get them thrown at you these days!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Give you £100 for them
They never seem to have got there in comparison to the overheads. The buds pro 2 were outshining them and you get them thrown at you these days!
Sooooooooo. Turns out the software update was the issue.

Full reset and update, and they’re sorted.

New tips (I maintain the standard ones are gash), and they’re (what’s that phrase?) a gamechanger. The sound is phenomenal.

For me, the Bose were the peak. These are better, definitely. The Samsung/airpods aren’t bad, but these are just a different class in terms of sound. There’s a level of detail you just don’t get with the competition.