ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Recommend me a wax

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
Hi, been getting into detailing since finishing uni and have just bought a new car so was looking at treating myself to a new wax, what I currently have is a panel pot of DODO Purple Haze and Prima Banana Gloss, I would like to spend around £50-£60. I know the purple haze is meant to be suited to darker coloured cars I bought this for my Black Clio 182 and it gave great results, but my other cars are much brighter colours, is it worth getting a wax that is colour specific such as much of the dodo range or is money better spent on a generic wax, recommendations and ideas please.

Here are the cars I will be using it on.
First Black Gold Clio 182
IMG_0875_zps5bd44ad8.gif

IMG_0870_zps092b113d.gif

My Arancio Orange TVR Tamora
IMG_1756_zps385342cc.gif

IMG_1730_zps49fabdf7.gif

And my newly purchased BMW M3 in Laguna Seca Blue
bmw-e46-m3-00-06-m3-S416082-1_zpsf193b66f.gif

Thanks in advance for the help.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Coloured waxes will add add 1% to car colour. You can use purple haze on white and silver and not see any change in tone, and on all the coloured cars you've got there. Give it a go with the glaze on a panel of each car and I'm sure they'd look pretty good.

it comes more down to what you want from the finish, deep gloss, high reflections, flake pop, durability, clarity or filling capability.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Hi chap. What are you looking for from the wax? Max durability? Looks? Show wax? Do you want a nice boutique feel?

What car will it be used on most? The Clio?

Don't limit yourself to just waxes. Also colour charged waxes aren't exactly colour specific. They can help certain colours but not imperative.

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
I want the absolute best shine, I know most of that comes from the prep. Also ease of application would be a bonus but not essential. It will primarily be used on the Clio but equally between the other two. Also I need some clay what's would be the recommendation I use me guides ultimate quick detailed as the lube.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Ha, a trend starting here.

try your current setup then come back with what you think its missing or want more of. Purple haze is a pretty glossy finish

Last edited:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
My guess Dave is he's bored of the usual and fancies a change. Like we all wish we didn't! ;)

It's the fun part of detailing!

If you want shine i'd add a glaze to your prep. Lime Prime, ez creme glaze, Prima Amigo.

In some cases if you want shine (oils) you sacrifice some durability.

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
I do already have prima amigo on your recommendations. I've been looking at dodo supernatural, and chemical guys lava. Been advised putting these on top of zaino z2 could be a good combo.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
If you want a shiner finish just polish it better. A change in the wax won't make much difference.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Z2 is a great base mate if you're using a nice base like Z2 then you can buy any wax really. A nice used pot of Best Of Show would be nice especially for the Summer! ;)

Also gives nice boutique feel.

Have a look at my detailing threads to see some Z2/bos combos.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's very hard to recommend a wax just now. Sealants are so so good!

Definitive waxes are lovely. Great presentation, lovely to use but you're not really paying for the sum of it's parts. Then again that goes for most.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Away man! PH is also much nicer to use being the softer wax.

I have to ask, straight out of uni and you have a tvr and an M3 (amazing choices!) - what do you do?!?

LY 200 & 265 Trophy
Swissvax do many versions with some more affordable than others.

I use best of show but there are ones to fit a £50-£60 budget.