ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Recommend me a few bits please...

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I was wondering if you guys could recommend me a decent camera bag, a flash and a new lens?

I'd like to spend up to £100 on a decent bag, capable of holding the body, flash, up to 4 lenses, a laptop, chargers etc. I'll be doing a lot of photogorahy in the woods/ wet , open mountain at races so it could do with being waterproof or some kind of protection against the elements.

As for the lens, it needs to be a decent zoom and i think pretty quick as the light conditions change quite a lot. It needs to be a canon fit too. I was thinking of a 70-200 but without spending mega money, it will be pretty useless shooting fast in low light. (downhill mountain bike racing).
I only have around £300 for the lens which migh be a problem.

I also need a decent flash. I already have a cheap one (Emoblitz? D728AF) but it has no settings on it and the recharge time is quite slow. Idealy i'd like something that flashes quite quick so i can do continual shooting.

If anyone can help, suggest any of these or has any for sale then please can you let me know?

Aaron

I doubt you'd get a 70-200 for £300, try and stretch your budget for the Canon 70-200 F4L, can pick them up second hand for a decent price and it's a very capable lens.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
What about the Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM - i've seen one second hand for £169 from here http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-lenses/used-canon-fit-lenses/
would that be a decent lens for low light shooting? I'n not too sure that i actually need a 300, and i cant really stretch my budget just yet.

The flash i've seen is this one http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/us...on-dedicated-flashguns/canon-220ex-speedlite/

Edit: Just spotted the Lowepro Fastpack 250 for £50 from amazon. Decent bag? Can hold a laptop and enough lenses. Anyone have one of these or used one before?

Cheers

Last edited:
  Evo 8 FQ300
I have lowpro flipside 200 its a great bag for me but i cant fit me laptop in there i have me canon body with lens and l-series 70-200 plus 2 other lens, hoods, speedlite and wipes, cards,etc perfect bag imo ;)
The one ur lookin at should fit all u need :approve:

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers rio, will get it ordered today then.
Just looking at a few different lenses now. Might sack off the flash and put a bit more towards some faster glass.

Evo 8 FQ300
Yeh not sure what camera body u use but i will always highly recomend l-series lens the glass is second to none :approve:;)

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Ah, Nikon then ;)

pmsl...

I had a go of my mates Nikon (not sure what model) but i couldn't get used to it. I've only ever had canons so i'd like to stick to what i know (plus i have a few lenses for it already).

Looked at the D60, but that will be towards the summer realisticly.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Will check that out later when I get back on my laptop, phones too slow on that site.
You say cheaper? New? And where from? Cheers

Those mega zooms are usually pretty soft at maximum aperture so if you're looking at shooting low light I'd maybe steer clear.

For a flash goes, you can't beat a speedlite. You can get some very decent ones second hand too, a 420 or 550 will sort you out nicely.

As for recharge times, I use some 2650ma rechargable batteries in my vivitar 283 for off camera flash, and they practically cut the recharge time in half.

I also use a Tamrac Adventure...something...7 I think. That fits all my kit and has a good laptop pocket.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Adam - The recharge time, i mean how quickly it charges between flashes, is that what you mean or do you mean the batteries that actually power the flash? I want one capable of using with the continual shutter.

I've ordered the lowepro bag for £50 from amazon.

Now its just deciding on a decent lens.

Adam - The recharge time, i mean how quickly it charges between flashes, is that what you mean or do you mean the batteries that actually power the flash? I want one capable of using with the continual shutter.

Yeah I meant the recharge between flashes, I get a good 5-6 burst of continuous shutter with mine before they slow down. By then the buffer on my camerais filling up anyway!

Our photographers at work use these kind of things:

http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...a=X&ei=cGaLTdf-OsKK5Ab026G9Dg&ved=0CB0Q8wIwAA#

Might be worth a thought if you can find one second hand? The work ones are like car batteries, I think you can hold the shutter down all day and still get flashes!

2.2 bar shed.
Think Tank Retrospective 10 for the bag, ive got a 20 and its fantastic but ive got a fair amount of gear when im out.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers guys.

Just ordered the 55-250 from Ollieee's link - £152 with deivery. Also got bag sorted.

I had a look at that flash power pack, looks pretty good but i think i'll leave it til next month. That and a speed light should do the trick.

Cheers guys.

Just ordered the 55-250 from Ollieee's link - £152 with deivery. Also got bag sorted.

I had a look at that flash power pack, looks pretty good but i think i'll leave it til next month. That and a speed light should do the trick.

Good call. My 550ex is everything I need.