ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

recomend me some clay...

Black Clio GT
as title...
none of this pro £30 for 50g as im not good enough to use it or afford it lol

has anyone used built hammer auto clay and got decent results without using a da or rotary after??
it was last done about 8 months ago so will i need an agressive or mild clay??

cheers :)

M135i
Sonus green or just the 'normal' meguiars will do. I'd say a mild clay depending on the state of your paint.

Not a 320d
Its grey now, but yeah, the sonus stuff. Dont use the blue CYC value stuff, its utter shite.

Clay removes bonded contaminates btw not swirl marks. If you want to clay it then get rid of swirls then use a product like poor boys black hole glaze which will hide swirls then wax it or apply a sealant. Im using that this winter as i cba to machine the car more than once a year.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I can recommend the BH stuff mate, get the soft clay. It was the first stuff I ever used and was a doddle!

A tiny bit of shampoo mixed with water and you're away. Try and make sure the car is covered in water andway, always makes it easier. :)

Golf GTD Mk7
as title...
none of this pro £30 for 50g as im not good enough to use it or afford it lol

has anyone used built hammer auto clay and got decent results without using a da or rotary after??
it was last done about 8 months ago so will i need an agressive or mild clay??

cheers :)

Normal Megs quick clay will be fine. No need to go agressive with it unless you've got overspray on the car. Tar remover first, quick wipe down and the megs kit will do you just fine. Only about a tenner from halfords.

I use the i4detailing clay... Dont rate the Meguiars clay bars tbh

The Orange PolyClay? Can't stand the stuff myself! You can't remould it properly!

If you want just a kit, get the Megs Quick Clay Kit. This contains lube, clay and a MF. Just chuck the cleaner wax - useless stuff.

The Orange PolyClay? Can't stand the stuff myself! You can't remould it properly!

If you want just a kit, get the Megs Quick Clay Kit. This contains lube, clay and a MF. Just chuck the cleaner wax - useless stuff.

This is what I use: http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/I4D_Uber_Lime_Clay_Bar_1.html

The Meguiars one I used came in that Clay Kit (as I had a £20 voucher for Halfrauds), so thought id try it. I know what you mean about it not remoulding properly. The i4d one is a million times better IMO.
They are the only 2 that I have used up to yet.

The old Sonus green is good, the Megs is perfectly acceptable and the BH is OK. I've not used the I4D you've posted. Any reviews?

The old Sonus green is good, the Megs is perfectly acceptable and the BH is OK. I've not used the I4D you've posted. Any reviews?

Ermm, as I have only used that and the Megs stuff, I can only compare between the 2.

The i4d bar seems to be better on all levels really IMO... It lasts me twice as long aswell, as half the bar is more than enough to do the whole car, whereas I found myself using a whole bar for the Megs one.

Not sure how to really explain the differences though! :S

Not a 320d
Blackfire is good
Megs Red is amazing but it marrs the s**t out of your car, great for pre machine polishing.
Sonus is fantastic
CYC Blue is w**k
Megs Quick Clay bar is pretty poor too IMO.
BH clay is also great, BH is probably one of my favorites although its a bit....sticky, not sure how to describe it. Cheap as s**t too !

Black Clio GT
thanks for all the ideas.
i dont need the full kit as ive got lots of MF cloths (pound shop ftw) and a couple of half empty bottles of QD that the mrs says i have to use first (LOL) so just need some clay. the only reason i picked BH out was was because you get 200g for the same price as megs ect which are 100g.

so i was thinking of doing the following.....feel free to pick holes in it ;-)

jet wash car
apc/tar remover mix
jet wash again
clean with 2 bucket method
clean wheels/arches/door shuts (AG wheel cleaner/APC)
rinse
clay (looks like im gonna buy some mild BH)
rinse
dry
hide swirls (MEGS step 2 of 3 polish)
sealant (AG egp)
wax twice (collonite 476)
seal wheels (AG wheel sealant spray)
dress tyres (AG tyre dressing)
do interior (AG vinyl and rubber care)
clean glass (AG fast glass)

have several beers...

Not a 320d
thanks for all the ideas.
i dont need the full kit as ive got lots of MF cloths (pound shop ftw) and a couple of half empty bottles of QD that the mrs says i have to use first (LOL) so just need some clay. the only reason i picked BH out was was because you get 200g for the same price as megs ect which are 100g.

so i was thinking of doing the following.....feel free to pick holes in it ;-)

jet wash car
apc/tar remover mix
jet wash again
clean with 2 bucket method
clean wheels/arches/door shuts (AG wheel cleaner/APC)
rinse
clay (looks like im gonna buy some mild BH)
rinse
dry

-----

----

do interior (303 Aerospace, spray cloth, wipe dash and plastics.)
clean glass (AG fast glass)

have several beers...

Poorboys Black Hole, easy to use and hides swirls incredibly well. No shame in hiding!!
Wax with a decent wax. Trust me when i say 476s is not a good looking wax, and iirc your GT is black? Expect cloudy finish with that stuff. Use it to seal your wheels and door shuts.
Vics Red Concours wax if you can stretch.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/victoria-wax/victoria-wax-6oz-concours-wax/prod_234.html

Tyres, use Meguairs Endurance.

See if you can pick up a snowfoam lance and use that first rather than jetwashing. If you're just jetwashing you will 'push' the dirt around on your paint and make it worse. I would also recommend that you do wheels/arches/tires before you TBM on your paintwork. My usual stages

Snowfoam
Rinse with open hosepipe
Bilberry wheel cleaner + agitate
Tardis if needed
Wheel arches
Rinse wheels with open hose
Door shuts + trim + badges etc (1:4 ratio Megs APC in squirty bottle with detailing brush)
Two bucket method (Dodo juice Born to be Mild)
Rinse with open hose
Clay (Dodo Juice Born Slippy + Sonus green)
Snowfoam again and rinse with open hose
Once dry do exterior trim and wheels with Poor Boys Tire and Trim gel
Wax with Dodo Juice Purple Haze

Windows get done with AG Fast Glass, trim and plastics with Aerospace 303, tires with Poor Boys tire shine stuff.