ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rebuilding work pc - what OS shall I install

Rav4
Hi,

My machine needs a rebuild,

Currently XP pro

Have a standard HP 2250 with 2gb RAM, AMD 74 X2 Dual 5000+

What do I go for,

1) XP Pro
2) Vista Business 32 bit
3) vista Business 64 bit
4) Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit
5) Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Hi,

My machine needs a rebuild,

Currently XP pro

Have a standard HP 2250 with 2gb RAM, AMD 74 X2 Dual 5000+

What do I go for,

1) XP Pro
2) Vista Business 32 bit
3) vista Business 64 bit
4) Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit
5) Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

Or secret option number 6

Linux !! (FTMFW Of course !)

330 Ci
Avoid Vista like the plague, sucks system resources like you wouldn't believe - 32 & 64bit! Stick with XP or leapfrog it to 7.. although for a work PC i'd probably try avoid beta versions - XP it is then ;).... I've had a Vista 32 bit and now 64bit system.. both are slow as fcuk compared to my older, lower spec XP system!! if i could find a Vista/XP downgrade cd i'd do it in a second... Vista SUCKS!

DCi
I dont think there are huge arguments to pick one over the other. I would probably pick the one I knew least about and that way I'd learn something :p

i put 7 on that exact machine yesterday a dx2250 it was quite good but now its back as xp again as my media s**t wouldnt work

Better than yours. C*nt.
Avoid Vista like the plague, sucks system resources like you wouldn't believe - 32 & 64bit! Stick with XP or leapfrog it to 7.. although for a work PC i'd probably try avoid beta versions - XP it is then ;).... I've had a Vista 32 bit and now 64bit system.. both are slow as fcuk compared to my older, lower spec XP system!! if i could find a Vista/XP downgrade cd i'd do it in a second... Vista SUCKS!

Yawn.

The fact that you'd have to 'find a Vista/XP downgrade cd' suggests you're out of your depth technically, and don't understand why Vista uses the resources it does, and why some tasks are slower whilst others significantly faster.

Rav4
Hey,

How how as everything else apart from the media?

Did you like it, how did it run with those resources?

Thanks,

Gabi.

i put 7 on that exact machine yesterday a dx2250 it was quite good but now its back as xp again as my media s**t wouldnt work

Hey,

How how as everything else apart from the media?

Did you like it, how did it run with those resources?

Thanks,

Gabi.

it ran very well actually much better than vista but i do have a nvidia 7800gto graphics card in it too. everything was snappy menus etc and startup was quicker than i ever remember it BUT it just doesnt seem to like legacy aplications

Rav4
Hi,

Excellent, what kind of legacy applications are we talking about and were you running the 32 or 64bit software?

Also, where can I get one of these vista/xp downgrade CD :rasp:

it ran very well actually much better than vista but i do have a nvidia 7800gto graphics card in it too. everything was snappy menus etc and startup was quicker than i ever remember it BUT it just doesnt seem to like legacy aplications

i was running the 64bit version no real need as i only have teh 2 gb same as you but it was the version i had to hand

things i had issues with were all to do with media as thats as far as i got, well there was no point carrying on really. ihad issues with a tv program re-namer and media portal

i did like the built in iso burning feature came in handy to write my xp disk again lol

Tesla MP3 2021
My Vista x64 system is foooking rapid lol :approve:

So balls to Vista being shite!

Rav4
Might just buy a macpro and be done with it. :p

Will download windows 7 out of hours, otherwise the connection becomes even worse.

If it was in the actionpack, i'd use it, only have vista ultimate really to hand and XP.

Thanks,

G.

If anyone has a copy in london pref around tower hill area that I can borrow I would be grateful :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
My Vista x64 system is foooking rapid lol :approve:

So balls to Vista being s**te!

You've got the hardware to run it well enough, though. Anyone can shift 2tons of motor quickly, assuming they have 600bhp under the bonnet. ;)

I ditched Vista x64 last weekend - mainly due to the ATi Farce where frankly, it doesn't work properly unless your monitor can support 1900x1200 res.

Blitzed the RAID0 disks for WinXP and wiped the RAID1 ones for a clean storage area. Works a treat for me. WinXP on a clean format is el rapido...... for now. :)

D.

Rav4
Ok,

Windows 7 ultimate installed.

First impressions, good.

It picked up all the drivers,

very 'flashy'

Certainly quicker than vista, much quicker.

The graphics are ok, lots of arty farty stuff on there.

Joining to the domain was no hassle.

Will I be going back to XP Pro, most likely.

Let's see how I get on.

Renault Clio 182FF + Cup
I'd go with Vista 64bit until Windows 7 is properly out and supported. I'm running Win 7 RC atm and am fairly happy. Only minor hiccups with some hardware thats not supported.
Vista is certainly and improvement over XP. Just started using an XP machine after working mainly on Vista for 9 months. Can't believe how flaky XP is in comparison.