ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

reasonable wash routine

RB 182 FF
hi all, is this the correct order to wash my car...

1. spray off surface crud using hose/pressure
2. use tar remover to get off caked on s*** around wheel arches and windscreen that i have noticed and rinse
3. use pressure washer and snow foam the car and leave for few mins
4. pressure wash off
5. use 2BM and wash car
6. rinse
7. clay
8. wax
9. enjoy

do i need to swap some steps around? or should this see me ok

E87 118d M Sport
In that list of activities, I would add a wash (and dry) after the clay before applying wax.
There are obviously other steps you could add, but what you've suggested is fine.
Good luck, and have fun!

2. use pressure washer and snow foam the car and leave for few mins
3. pressure wash off
4. use 2BM and wash car
5. rinse
6. de-tar
7. clay

8. Polish
9. wax
10. enjoy

RB 182 FF
as far as products go, im using i4detailing snow foam, autoglym tar remover and car shampoo. will need to look into some decent polish and wax now as the old wax paste from tutrle wax wont cut it on my clio :) any suggestions? im no "detailer" so only really want good finish without being raped in the wallet

cheers guys

Polish, SRP or Lime Prime, both from I4D. Try using something else shampoo wise as well, like Megs Gold Klass or A.N.Other. Wax wise, depends on your budget chap. Loooaddddss of choices. Natty's Blue at the £15 end, Swissvax Onyx at the £45 mid point and Best Of Show at the other end ;)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
What is the Lime Prime and other cleansers all about??? I'm still using the SRP and EGP to seal then waxing to protect when detailing, with interval washes occasionally laying on another coat of wax. where would I use it as I've considered the auto glym cleanser kit

E87 118d M Sport
Lime Prime is a pre-wax cleanser that polishes the paint and prepares it for the wax application. A cleanser makes the wax application an easier process and often increases the durability of the wax. It is a similar product to SRP (but SRP is more of a filler, i.e. it fills swirls in) but has micro-abrasives so can be used for minor swirl removal. Its a fantastically easy product to use and can be applied by hand or by machine.
Dodo also do a product called Lime Prime Lite which is still a cleanser, but doesnt have any microabrasives, so will clean the paintwork ready for waxing without having any level of "cut".

Make sure you dont buy lite if you want an aspect of swirl removal.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I've never even used any of the lime stuff yet. I feel I need to get some.

I would say it's more for already corrected paint, or maybe paint that isn't too bad swirl/scratch wise?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Markie wasn't exactly sure, not for heavy correction in anyway.

Would you say it would remove the faintest of swirls? Very little correction?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers, it's not something i've really thought of using or needed to use.

It's popular though.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
So would I use Lime Prime instead of both SRP and EGP?

My cars never had any paint correction, and I admit there are the odd swirls here and there, but I've only ever detailed by hand as would not want to risk it myself using a DA and damaging the LY.

As mentioned to Josh Medici99 in the thread above this one (actually it's in a PM so I'll copy and paste in a sec), the paint cleanse step is well worth it to ensure a good bond between paint and LSP.

E87 118d M Sport
EGP is a sealant Dave, so it is a LSP (last stage protection) product. By all means you can put EGP ontop of Lime Prime. A wax will give you a deeper shine (depending on which you go for).
I tend to go for a sealant (for durability) and a wax (for aesthetics) when detailing.

So would I use Lime Prime instead of both SRP and EGP?

My cars never had any paint correction, and I admit there are the odd swirls here and there, but I've only ever detailed by hand as would not want to risk it myself using a DA and damaging the LY.

No Dave. LP would replace SRP. But LP doesn't have fillers that can mask marring/scratches.

EGP is a sealant Dave, so it is a LSP (last stage protection) product. By all means you can put EGP ontop of Lime Prime. A wax will give you a deeper shine (depending on which you go for).
I tend to go for a sealant (for durability) and a wax (for aesthetics) when detailing.

Do you want to do one day on, one day off on these threads? xx

Golf GT & A4 Avant
My method of detail is 2BM, clay, de tar, rinse, dry, SRP, EGP, and either AG HD wax or colli 476s depending on whether were heading into summer or winter.

As you say SRP is a filler so probably don't need to use this as it doesn't hide any marks for more than a few weeks (although the car gleams after it's applied) hense looking at the lime prime and AG cleanser kits, but how abrasive is the lime prime, and should I use it the once then use the lime prime lite on future applications?

RB 182 FF
ok all these different variations is givign me a headache... in my basket on cleanyourcar.com i have the following....

ph neutral snowfoam
AG intense tar remover
dodo juice born slippy
CYC Clay bar (ultra fine)
dodo juice lime prime
and dodo juice superntaural wax or poorboys nattys blue paste wax....

and to use in this order
3. pressure wash off
4. use 2BM and wash car
5. rinse
6. de-tar with AG intense tar remover
7. clay with born slippy and CYC clay bar
8. Polish with dod Lime Prime
9. wax with either the nattys blue or the dodo supernatural
10. enjoy

is this right and correct :)

Nothing wrong with hiding them for a few weeks, Dave. IMO replacing your method with Lime Prime would just be more hassle than it's worth.

I would suggest de-taring befor you clay, as it will remove the larger chunks, preserving the life of your clay for longer.

Lime Prime seems to work well on all levels. Via machine it corrects well on minor marring. By hand it also works well as a paint cleanse before LSP application (wax/sealent).

ok all these different variations is givign me a headache... in my basket on cleanyourcar.com i have the following....

ph neutral snowfoam
AG intense tar remover - Autosmart Tardis works much better and can be ordered from eBay***I do not condone the delivery of Tardis/harmful chemicals outside of their designed metal containers***
dodo juice born slippy - replace with something cheaper IMO i.e. Megs Last Touch
CYC Clay bar (ultra fine)
dodo juice lime prime
and dodo juice superntaural wax or poorboys nattys blue paste wax....

and to use in this order
3. pressure wash off
4. use 2BM and wash car
5. rinse
6. de-tar with AG intense tar remover
7. clay with born slippy and CYC clay bar
8. Polish with dod Lime Prime
9. wax with either the nattys blue or the dodo supernatural
10. enjoy

is this right and correct :)

That's right. Re waxes, Super Natural is very good and lasts a lot longer than Nattys. But the vary in price massively. You'll be looking for a panel pot of SN for the equivalent price of Nattys.

RB 182 FF
cheers JD, pm'd and spoke on thread
will see if i early enough!

also the maguires thing touch one stuff, can be used for a number of stuff then? saving me buyiong lots of products?

Not a problem.

Yes, that's the best thing about buying in bulk with a product like this. My main uses are;

1. Clay lube
  2. Drying aid (creates lubrication between towel and paint to help against marring)
  3. Detailing spray for dust/polish/wax removal
It can also be used for lubing up a pad when machine polishing and a few other uses.

RB 182 FF
sweet, looks like ill reshape my shopping basket accordingly then.... thanks everyone who has contributed and chipped in with advice and thouhgts... much appreciated and im grateful for you taking the time

hopefully get some photos within next week then off her b4 and after all this crazy s**t spent on her!!!