ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rears.........17cm or 6x9

Skoda Fabia vRS

right im gettin my 5 channel amp soon an im gettin Alpine Type R components for the front, and a Type R sub for the boot

ive currently got Kicker 6x9s in the back shelf but i was thinkin of maybe puttin some coax in instead..........

what you think ?

go to halfords, buy some sony xpold 6*9s, then, go to rileys snooker hall, nick a cue ball, then, go out into the open, throw the snooker ball as high up in the air as you can. whilst its in the air, shout I LOVE 6X9S AND NOVAS!! then, as the ball proceeds groundwards, try and head it, as if it were a football

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

if u go to a music concert all the sound comes from the front correct??

so why when sat in your car would you want sound coming from behind u, a sub can be behind you because of the frequencies the human ear cant tell where it is placed, why bother wasting money on rear speakers, put that money towards the front speakers and get some decent components, what is it with people that think they should have sounds coming from behind them, that is a crap soundstage, for the best sound you should have it coming from infront and infront only, only time u have speakers behind you is when u listen to 5.1 audio and there are no music cds in such a format.

you seem to be buying alot of stuff and trying to take it seriosely why not do it propperly and have it setup like its supposed to then making a mistake and putting speakers in the back, if u gonna stick some in the back keep your 6x9s on the parcel shelf, and make even more of a mistake.

i have amped components and a sub, sounds ace...but if you have people in the back of your car all they say is "yea very good, all i can hear is bass"

so if you stick some 13cm coax in the door, just means everyone can enjoy the music.

The fact your components are louder and closer to you, means the main volume still comes from the front!

i got components all around focal ones u can tell the difference in quality and volume if u fade it all to the front u all ways need some rear fill in a system

yep rear fill is definetly a bonus to systems! I have front 3 way componants & 6*9s in their own enclosures on the parcel shelf, they sound amazing due to the quality of them, sound just as good as any componants priced 150 and below. & even how decent my front componants are, it just doesnt sound right (not to mention as good) with just the fronts on at all!
Maybe thats just coz of what 6*9s ive got and how ive fitted them? I dont know, but I would never have 6*9s in the parcel shelf if their air space messed around with the subwoofers air space. Coz that would not only sound w**k, but it would damage the cones to.

Skoda Fabia vRS

well my mate has got a Planet Audio 12" in his boot which is pretty powerful an his JBL 6x9s on the shelf dont distort/vibrate cos of the sub at all it sounds pretty good IMO.............

brun, what happens when the sub is really moving...perhaps a really low note that is going for a good few seconds.

i find it hard to belive that dosent make the cone on your 6x9 "buzz"...cause every single car ive seen with subs and 6x9s suffers from this.

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

Yeah IMO dont run anything in the shelf if you runing subs. Just get some good components up from and some coax in the original pods in the rear.

Skoda Fabia vRS

they dont buzz at all mate, ive listened quite a lot, as i was listenin out for it

now a customer we had, had some Kenwood 6x9s in the rear and his did it BADLY...........he had 2 x 12" JBL subs

i must admit even before we put the enclosuress in, the 6*9s didnt buzz at all! i only made them so the cones wouldnt get damaged

Personally I think 6x9s would be pointless if you have good fronts with good power to them you shouldnt need rear speakers. You will also save some money which you can spend on another part of your system.

If you spend some time in the back or you want some music for passengers then fair enough, but I wouldnt bother otherwise. Also, when did you last see a competition car with rear speakers?

Skoda Fabia vRS

my car isnt a competition car its simply my car that i drive an jus listen to my cds in !!!!

i think 6x9s in the back would be too much bass, so sod those

ill either get a set of components or some coax, probably some coax as they will be cheaper, and as mentioned the backs arent really important.......

hmmm kartman, Until youve had a system with both in you will know the difference, maybe you have? i dont know! but ive got very high quality focal 3 way componants up front with 2 amps (powering left & right channel seperatly) & i still have rear speakers. I dont sit in the back, i do like the passengers having quality sound but that aint the main reason i have them, I like a bit of sound coming from the rear, coz no matter how loud & quality your speakers are, theres no way you can produce noticable sound coming from all around you when the speaker is in the foot well & the tweeter is in the dash.
I like having sound coming from all around you, so having that surround sound effect.
& competition systems nearly always have rear speakers? if not, thats coz of the whole of the back is filled with subs n amps, and we aint talking about a competition system...

& not only that but I feel having speakers in the rear brings the bass from the boot to the front, not sure how! but it somewhow drags the bass forward a little, And its harder to distinguish where the sub is, I think that when you dont have rear speakers & just have front speakers & a sub, the sub & fronts seem really seperated & its really obvious that bass is coming from the boot & not all around the car.

anyways thats just my 2 pence.

If you like the surround effect then fair enough. But for someone starting out then surely to go one step at a time is best? If fronts and a sub dont sound right then add 6x9s but I wouldnt add them unless I went that route first. I tried both which is why my £200 DLS 6x9s are in the loft. I dont want anyone else to make the same costly mistake

I guess its down to preference at the end of the day and my preference is to listen to music how it was recorded, with the sound coming from the front. With the rears in, I just found that it sounded a bit muddled and much clearer without

I dont know about your system, but the integration between the fronts and the sub sounds sweet but I have spent quite alot of time (and money!) getting advice from expert installers to achieve this. As Im sure you have. Thats one of the problems of car audio I suppose I must be lucky to have solved it.

Wow! Getting more bass to the front from the rears? That is wierd! Could be some sort of sound reflection thing going on? Have you tried using the rears for midbass only? I would be interested in what thats like as it only occured to me after I junked the rears.

Looking at the turners website I noticed that almost everyone had no rear speakers, that why I mentioned competition cars is all. Hope that clears that up.

:D ah thats cool mate! I was just giving advice based on him getting his componants & sub first, coz I said the same to another person here, that he should get the componants & sub first & if he feels he needs it then he can get his 6*9s then so as to not waste money if it sounds good without them!

What are you doing with your DLSs by the way? (assuming they are still in the loft)

I agree with you that sometimes rear speakers can sometimes muddle the sound, So i have it set so the front is more powerful and most of the music is coming from the front but a lil bit comes out of the rears (so fader is set +5 to the front) so you still get a hint of sound coming from the rear but not so much that it ruins the soundstage or muddles the sound.
I tried having just my fronts on & sub, & dont get me wrong it sounds awesome, but it i feel it just sounds better with the rears on too.
& the rears are set to mid bass only, no low bass notes go through them, just vocals & mid, & they do sound incredibly crisp, And i have been through a couple of sets of 6*9s and most of them sound muffled I think, but these are as crisp as some sets of 150notes componants!
What did the expert installers say to you about it then? I had mixed views, they said that they would be fine & ok & a good idea if they were in the quarter rear panels or in their own enclores on the parcel shelf (I did the latter before consulting them so i was pleased to know they were happy with this idea)

Mark

So your rears are playing no low bass? Hmm still not convinced especially as Im happy with it at last! Maybe have a listen sometime.

Anyway as for what the experts say, I got the same answer from 2 well known guys (Max Pitts at Maximum impact and Paul Ellis at Source). They started with yes if you want rear fill thats fine but only a little so as not to affect the soundstage, but when really pressed their own preferences were for no rear speakers. They did stress that they were happy doing it if thats what you liked tho.

As for the DLS 6x9s, yes they are still gathering dust!

Mike.

Yeah mate, no low bass! no bass is being pushed out of the HU, the subwoofer handles that!

it doesnt sound good if I start putting the bass on through the speakers on the head unit.

But thats how I have mine set, the rears are set to a little so I dont ruin my own lil soundstage :)

But im sure at a cliosport meet or somet we can have a listen to each others?

& are you selling your DLSs? are they any good?? Ive got the PG tantrum 6*9s, so this is comparing to them.

Yeah mate be good to have a listen at a meet. Where you from?

Yes they could be for sale I guess. Are they any good? Not sure really. I bought them as they were supposed to be the best 6x9s for sound quality but as I say I didnt use them much. In comparison to the PGs which are in the middle of their range, the DLS ar their best 6x9 speaker if that helps.

mike.

Im from Reading, but im just in the middle of buying a new car, the clio 16valve! cant wait :D so will have to swap all the stereo across :S where you from?

How much would you sell them for ?

Im "up north" near Leeds mate.

Dont know how much tho, reasonable offer? Bearing in mind I dont know of any dealers who will discount DLS speakers.

whats the model number of them mate? so I know what ones im looking at & ill see if i can make an offer :) im not very good at making offers lol

whey my very first post, so Ill use it wisely, to attribute my views on this topic. With my personal experience with the same system into two different cars, one being a mk3 fiesta and the other being a much larger cabin volvo 480, i found that 6by9s played a huge difference and benefit towards a larger car, as the soundstage seemed to be empty behind the head, and it seemed as if the fronts werent producing enough alround sound. I played with the idea and took the speakers in and out of the car several times, to make sure it wasnt just a coincidance or a deaf hearing day.

WITH SMALLER CARS I DONT REALLY SEE THE POINT, opps caps off, but i did enjoy the alround sound with a little bit of rear fill in the volvo, never had the chance in the fiesta. What i plan do do with the clio i buy, is rip the rear seats out anyway and have a proper look at te possibilities of a nice quality install, so wont be needing rear fill then.

hope that helps, but as said before, power the fronts more than the rears, 6by9s are normally used to produce a little bit of lacking bass without subs, but with use with subs u may as well just use coaxials.

;) cheers guys

lol, a good use of a first post my friend :)

I agree with you mate... But im just going from personal experience, & switching the rears on & off in my current car makes a difference, & for me, it sounds better with them on! the fronts have more power, i have two 2 channel amps powering the left & right channels of my front speakers & have a 4 channel amp bridged to amp the 6*9s and it sounds very good all round :) obviously it would probably be more of a use in say a larger car but still it makes a difference in my books in smaller cars such as clios & 106s & the like.

However I will be ordering a set of dedicated mid-driver/mid bass 6.5" speakers soon & not sure if im gona dump the 6*9s as of yet! But I dont know whether to get JL ones or Digital Designs! anyone else got a set of these? I apologise for stealing ur thread brun :D

Are they 7x10s??? coz ive found the model number 1070, but they are 7x10s & not 6*9s! & do they come with crossovers?