ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear tyres wearing on outsides

Focus RS + S3
Just noticed this on my 1.2,
Both rear tyres arent that old and are wearing on the outsides,

It hasnt long had new rear wheel bearings on the back,

I did think a buckled wheel but cant have two surely?

At a loss really as the back is a fixed beam
Any ideas?

It's a fixed beam that's designed to bend in cornering. Loads of Clios seem to have slightly bent rear beams from minor low speed crashes (sliding into a curb at 3 mph on ice for example).

- Doesn't sound like tyre pressures (underinflated wears both edges, overinflated wears only the middle) but check them anyway as it's free.
- Jack the car up and check the wheel bearings don't have any play (just try to wobble the wheel). I don't know if it's applicable on the drum brake models, but the RS has very delicate rear bearings that need to be torqued and installed very carefully.
- If you're still at a loss, pay £30 to have the tracking checked & a print out. Then spend £30 or so on angled shims that go between the beam & hub (the idea being if toe is 1 degree out, you buy a shim with an angle of 1 degree and install it "backwards" to remove 1 degree of toe)