ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear tyre wear on track

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Hello all,

Got some pretty high outside edge tyre wear going on at the rear on my 172 Cup when on track, after a bit of advice/feedback if poss please...

I have 1 deg camber shims both sides, which should put the camber around -2.5 (although realistically I think one is 2.5 and the other is about 2.2), but both outside edges are getting hammered. No play in the stub axles, rear bearings or beam. Front camber I have set to 2.8 and the tyres have worn pretty evenly across the tread.

Inside:

inside.jpg

Outside:

outside.jpg

Other setup info if relevant: RARB fitted and set up pretty stiff, running about 26-27psi hot, no rear seats etc so the back is pretty light, tyres are Federal RSR 595s, and I don't drive in a 'lift off oversteer' manner.

Do I just need more camber? I notice a lot of the touring cars have silly camber but didn't think I was getting anywhere near needing that much...

Cheers in advance for any input!
Adam

Last edited:

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
Have you tried different pressure? What is the handling characeteristics of the car at the moment?

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
I usually start the tyres around 25 at the rear, and they have been up as far as 29, but not for any length of time... I would have thought lower pressure would give more edge wear and higher pressure less grip?

The car is very balanced at the moment, grips well in the dry, slight understeer in the wet.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Cheers Tony, was hoping you would reply! Just put up with the rear tyres wearing funny then?

172 Race Car
rubbing on the arches?

i know what you mean about camber on touring cars but they're not all like it. depends on the suspension arrangement. as Tony said 2.5 is ideal from the tyre temperature testing we have done

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Hmmm, pretty sure its not the arches, the surface very much looks like wear from the track rather than scrubbing, its very even if you get me.

Ah I see, that makes sense. Had thought about trying to check temps but it seems you need a probe to get down into the tread, which is expensive and a bit OTT for just track days I reckon! Do you guys see wear like this or is it pretty even across the width of the tread? Thanks for your input!

172 Race Car
pretty even on the rears. yes u will need a probe to do it properly.

try less rear pressure. think we run closer to 24-25psi

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
tyres too narrow for the wheels? it sounds like you have a very stiff setup, and the only movement anywhere is in the tyres. Certainly looks like the tyres are rolling over a lot

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Cheers Jay, will give a bit less pressure a go, although I have a feeling that might let the tyre deform more? Worth a shot though - cheers!

The tyres are 195s and the wheels are 6.5 or 7" (can't remember off top of head), they 'look' fine if that makes sense (can see a bit in the pics up top). I guess the setup is pretty stiff, yeah... So I'll just have to live with it?

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Sound like you need a bit more toe out on the rear, you will be running more toe in now from the camber shims so it will need correcting. Best thing to do is get the rear alignment measured then you know what shims you will need to but to correct it.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Nice one dude, didn't think of that, makes sense though. I'll have a look over the weekend if I get chance. Amazing the difference half a degree here and a few minutes there can make eh...

I have left the rear camber on mine alone, so 1.2 - 1.5 std on a cup (?) have quite a stiff set up and get even wear, 2.8 on front and on very slight outer edge wear (nothing to worry about atm). Though had to get the toe sorted once set up to 2.8.(run with 1 - 2 something's of tow out).
Would get it to a computer tracking garage, as presume the rear toe would also require adjusting if I'd altered the camber (only going from how the front looked when adding camber, toe was visibly out).

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The rear toe will need adjusting even if the car is lowered tbh. The rear beam is designed to work at the ride height specified by the Renault engineers so with lowering the car plus increasing the camber will increase the variation by a greater amount. I adjusted my rear tracking to get it back nearer to original when I cambered my beam.

Be careful when you adjust the rear toe though as to much toe out will make it want to swap ends, but the correct amount allows you to control the behaviour of the car on the throttle.

182cup & 172 racecar
We went from 1deg toe out to .5deg toe out,made so much difference,great for track day's but in a race situation we needed more stability.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Thanks for the input gents - much appreciated!

I can see how the plastic shims aren't up to track use, so first thing to do is get them changed I guess :)

Toe at the rear is current 10 mins in (standard seems to be ~0.5 deg toe in? http://www.cliosport.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11081&d=1155755988). So, it looks like a bit of toe out is the way to go, which will help the tyre wear too. I don't want to go too extreme, so if I shoot for 0.5 toe out and try and keep the camber similar at ~2.5 I reckon that will be an improvement?