ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear tow strap solution (ph2)

Clio 172 (CUP)
My search abilities are currently failing me, can anyone point me to any suggestions on how to fit a rear tow strap on a 1*2 ph2?

Clio 172 (CUP)
OK, maybe ask a slightly different question. For track days/sprints/hillclimbs, is the rear tow hook on a 172 cup sufficient, or is something more exposed a better option to prevent the bumper from being wrecked. Not that I intend to spend most of my time in the gravel or a ditch, but I'd rather sort it out now. Thanks.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
If it were me and for a dedicated track car, I would look at welding a spreader plate to a good bit of stucture on the rear panel, then drill a hole in the bumper, maybe in black plastic strip so its descrete.

It's under the black trim on the right hand side

use a bolt of the correct thread and bolt it on, may be worth putting a little extra weld on it if your worried

but renault seem to think it's ok for a fully laden car, so a stripped out track / race car will be fine

Clio 172 (CUP)
If it were me and for a dedicated track car, I would look at welding a spreader plate to a good bit of stucture on the rear panel, then drill a hole in the bumper, maybe in black plastic strip so its descrete.
Good, that's along the lines I was thinking too. Thanks.
It's under the black trim on the right hand side

use a bolt of the correct thread and bolt it on, may be worth putting a little extra weld on it if your worried

but renault seem to think it's ok for a fully laden car, so a stripped out track / race car will be fine
Really, thats handy, I'll have a look tonight.

A eye hook would be preferrable rather than directly bolting the flat plate of the strap at right angles to how it would be pulled, plus probably best to get the pivot point it out beyond the depth of the bumper too. But a good anchorage point is a start.

Cheers.