ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear suspension

172, BMW 650i & X5
I'm currently building a Ph1 172 track car. I have coilovers on front so no problem there.
However, the rear is on 60mm lowering springs and the car is completely stripped. The rear is sittin much higher than I'd like. She's on 15's.
Any advice to get it sitting lower at rear?

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I'm currently building a Ph1 172 track car. I have coilovers on front so no problem there.
However, the rear is on 60mm lowering springs and the car is completely stripped. The rear is sittin much higher than I'd like. She's on 15's.
Any advice to get it sitting lower at rear?

Yep. Buy coil overs all round.

If it's a dedicated track car, you'll want coilies.

Depending on budget, I'd recommend ASTs, followed by Bilsteins for a lower budget.

In terms of track car mods, I'd follow this order;

Brakes
Tyres
Suspension / handling
Tuition / practice
LSD
Power

172, BMW 650i & X5
Ok, am i being daft. My understanding of coilovers is spring over damper (adjustable)
Clio rears have independent spring and damper. How do you adjust ride height?

Ok, am i being daft. My understanding of coilovers is spring over damper (adjustable)
Clio rears have independent spring and damper. How do you adjust ride height?

Depends on the coilovers, ASTs are conventional Spring over damper, others like billies have adjuster platforms that sit in the oe Spring location, with shorter springs

172, BMW 650i & X5
Hmmm... Need new rears then. Though not this side of Christmas!
Bodywork now stripped as far as i possibly can, should be interesting...

Track 172 Cup
I have the BC coilovers which are adjustable on the rear they are pretty decent for the price around £700 i think although not 100% as they were on when I bought it, I would like some with coilover on the rear but don't wanna spend silly money on the AST at the minute while the BC are doing the job, if I get better on track I may try and talk myself into some better coilover's. I'm also interested int he Avo stuff that Pure Motorsport have on their website http://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/details.php?itemid=322 as opposed to the £1600-1700 for the AST (just a quick google for the price so they may be had cheaper else where)

Last edited:
  172, BMW 650i & X5
Brutal money for a cheap (ish) track project at the mo. May have to think outside the box with one of my weird ideas (wouldn't be the 1st time) lol

172, BMW 650i & X5
Coilovers on front already, decent shocks on rear with lowering springs. With all the weight gone she's higher than I'd like.
Oil cooler going on tomorrow night. Just been out modifying steering column to lower it further to match seat.

Track 172 Cup
Apparently something from a VW golf (not sure which model or year) will fit the rear on the clio coilover wise but I'm not sure think it was @bloke who mentioned it too me.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Find a set of springs that are meant to be used with adjustable height collars (like what you'd get in a set with front coilovers and separate rear springs and shocks) and bin the collars off. It should sit about right for what you're after. Seen KW rears used like this in a stripped car and it sits well.