ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear strut brace fitting

BMW E82 M Sport
I've just been trying to fit a rear strut brace but the nuts at the top of the strut won't loosen :mad: I dont want to put to much pressure on it as its twisting the strut and im worried that i'll break something.

What do people suggest? Just spray some WD-40 on and try again tomorrow or is there something else i should be doin?

Cheers guys

BMW E82 M Sport
Sorry i meant twisting the shock. Im on night shift this week so my heads somewhere else :S

clio sport 182
I've just been trying to fit a rear strut brace but the nuts at the top of the strut won't loosen :mad: I dont want to put to much pressure on it as its twisting the strut bar and im worried that i'll break something.

What do people suggest? Just spray some WD-40 on and try again tomorrow or is there something else i should be doin?

Cheers guys

that is bad mine was only solve by WD-40. i applied almost 1/4 of the WD-40 then leave it overnight. I think ive done that for almost 2 days then it went okay. now it is loosen. dont hammer it with anything it will just make it more difficult. just apply WD-40 then you need a lot of patience. cheers!

chumpmobile
you have to hold the strut with a spanner/pair of pliers and use as spanner to undo the nut

2004 ph2 172
Ohh.. can I have a stab at that one?

Correct me if I'm wrong Fred...

Strut Braces are used to keep the tops of McPherson Struts in place (by tying the turrets together), thus maintaining suspension Geometry. The Clio's rear suspension geometry is governed by the rear beam and it's mounting points... the "turrets" merely hold the top shockers (or coilies if you've been spending money) and stiffening them will do precicesly bugger-all for the handling.

Anyhooo... that's how I see it...

ITB'd MK1
Ohh.. can I have a stab at that one?

Correct me if I'm wrong Fred...

Strut Braces are used to keep the tops of McPherson Struts in place (by tying the turrets together), thus maintaining suspension Geometry. The Clio's rear suspension geometry is governed by the rear beam and it's mounting points... the "turrets" merely hold the top shockers (or coilies if you've been spending money) and stiffening them will do precicesly bugger-all for the handling.

Anyhooo... that's how I see it...

bing, correct

LY R26 #288
I was thinking of getting a front and rear strut brace, I'm glad I read this first. You saved me over £100 Danny.

Disastra Coupe
Front upper's do bugger all except look a little pretty - and they aren't everybody's cup of tea anyway.

Stealing the thread a minute but out of interest is there no need for a lower front one on the Clio? Can't say i've had a good luck tbh but i know on my Saxo the lower brace made a big difference.