ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear shocks- handling

clio 182FF
Hi all,

my 182 has been feeling a bit light and skittish at the back end. I have had no knocking or major issues but especially at higher speed the car feels especially unstable. I initially put it down to it being a small light car but I have just been cleaning it and I looked under to chec the exhaust mounts. In doing so the left rear shock looked completly clean and silver with just a little road mud etc on it. However the right one is black and oily/ greasy. I know that if they are leaking then they have had it but I want to confirm this. I was under the impression you had to jack the car up to see it leaking? I think the car had new rear shock around 50k and it's currently on 75k so maybe sounds early to go? Either way if its broke I want it changed as that would explains the high speed handling.

So basically is there anything else that could have caused this nearby such as from the brakes or anything or is it likely to be the shock it self? I'm kinda hoping it is as that means changing the pair will improve the handling :)

Thanks

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Replace the rear shocks (the pair of them)

Thats whats causing the handling issue, you'll get a new pair on here for less than £90

clio 182FF
Excellent. Did think it was the shock that was causing the leaking but just wanted to check. Easy enough job to do myself with some basic tools?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Yep, 18mm bolt holding them in at the bottom and 13mm (its a smaller nut anyway) at the top! Doesn't take long!

Really easy to change, you don't need to jack the car up or anything.