ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear Shims

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
To get rear camber i am aware you need to use rear spacer shims.

Where do you get these from and how do they actually work?

thanks
carl

Gez

Yozza'd 182 RB 188bhp
do yozza actually sell them? ive got bad camber on the back i want sorted. inside of the tyres wearing with paradas spec2s. only a road car so dont want the camber on the back.

megan R26.R number 006
do yozza actually sell them? ive got bad camber on the back i want sorted. inside of the tyres wearing with paradas spec2s. only a road car so dont want the camber on the back.

i dout it r sport dont have any now you could try white line they do a setup for the clio i think

Lionel Richie

you have a problem then, worn wheel bearings most likely

alien green rs133
Or use some washers for pence

even better take it on a good bouncy bit of road, rear axel bends :rasp:

we are in the process of strengthening one, like the trophy, to stop it bending, we ended up with over 5 degrees of camber on all for corners after a rough event haha, bent struts the lot

M

mini-valver

Axle's are sooo weak!

Shims are easy to fit if you have the car strung up so you know exactly what you are putting in. Remember adding camber adds toe (or takes it away, cant remember. its late and Im tired, lol) so you need to use track shims too. Camber on first, biggest shim first. Track on after, biggest shim first.

alien green rs133
Axle's are sooo weak!

Shims are easy to fit if you have the car strung up so you know exactly what you are putting in. Remember adding camber adds toe (or takes it away, cant remember. its late and Im tired, lol) so you need to use track shims too. Camber on first, biggest shim first. Track on after, biggest shim first.

or stop being so anal and just leave the track **** as it is carl :clown:

Thats what im doing :)

explain? I need rear camber on mine as currently i have HC spacers, want 10mm ones but cant get them in HC, so other option is to add more camber allowing for the tyre to move away from the outside arch.

Jamie

Mk2 172
explain? I need rear camber on mine as currently i have HC spacers, want 10mm ones but cant get them in HC, so other option is to add more camber allowing for the tyre to move away from the outside arch.

Jamie

put half mm washer behind the bolts on the hub. bottom two bolts. simple as that. cant remember what each half mm washer equats to in degrees but can find out from curtis at powerstation. thats what they do on the race cars they setup :) u wont need many tho. 2 max i wud of thought.
U can also play around with toe out etc by using spacers on the front holes etc.
Needs to be done and setup properly but thats what curtis is doing on my car :)

Ah nice, that is an interesting one! Could this cause any unwanted movement/damage/issues at all?

My car is going to Birchdown at two weeks today, is it possible that they could do this as the car is going to tweaks to be setup for tracking and camber etc?

jamie

very intersting idea!! birchdown could do that to your car, but it depends if they have a camber & toe gauge to measure what their doing. Im sure when Dan takes his to powerstation it will take them several attempts to work out what each washer is doing and to work out what washers are needed to get the setup he wants. I dont think the Clio rear axles are consistant enough for you to copy his set up either.

Im not sure why everyone is after rear camber/toe at the moment, depending on set up it makes the car less stable on the road, rear end feels loose but its great on track!

It is just a fix for me as silly as this sounds!

I don't want non-hubcentric spacers on the rear of my car. But if I have stuff in the back at the moment, with my 15mm spacers, my tyres rub on the outer arch edge. So unless anyone can think of a way to counter this?

Jamie

I had that problem last summer when going to trackdays with the car loaded up with 4 wheels in the boot on 205 tyres, tyre would rub on the arch. I raised the car to solve the problem! I was going to get the arches sorted but thats a lot of effort compared to turning the spring platform round twice to lift the car! This was with an extra 1 degree negitive camber! But i think the problem was caused by the toe angles, wheel was rubbing the arch just above the side skirt.

Im on 195 tyres now and back down to the lowest setting and theres no rubbing at all. Camber might solve your problem but be carefull if you chane toe. best thing to do is not run such a large spacer, changing the spacer is probably a lot less ball ache than playing arround with the rear camber, wheel, caliper, disc and stub axle have to come off everytime you want to change it, which is why the race car shims are so easy as they do excalty what they say on the tin, playing with washers could take a long time.

Appreciate the advice Dave, I may well look into camber shims as the solution, if I can find a supplier. If not, I may very well just take the rear 15mm spacers off altogether!

Jamie

Gez

Yozza'd 182 RB 188bhp
i want to get rid of my negative camber as mines only a roadcar. the wheels lean in but only a bit but the evidence on the tyre shows 3-4mm of the outside edge is not touching the road.
Washers are surly a bodge job? the stub axel wouldt sit flush would it?

Gez

Yozza'd 182 RB 188bhp
This is my rear tyre. you can see the outer edge is not touching by 5cm. no play in bearings and no damage to rear beam.
could i get camber shims and install the upside down to reduce the negative camber?

Image1256.jpg

Image1257.jpg

alien green rs133
This is my rear tyre. you can see the outer edge is not touching by 5cm. no play in bearings and no damage to rear beam.
could i get camber shims and install the upside down to reduce the negative camber?

Image1256.jpg

Image1257.jpg

thats a bent beam almost put money on it, or tyre design

Gez

Yozza'd 182 RB 188bhp
bent beam? with exactly the same wear on both tyres? surly not?
There is no obvious damage and no stress marks on any joins.
Anyone else got bad camber on the rear?

Lionel Richie
does look a bit excessive on 2nd look, bet it on a 4 wheel laser alinger and check the tolerences, don't go trying to "fix it" with shims

alien green rs133
the beam can bend and you wont see any signs of it on the beam just with the camber of the wheels ill see if i cna get pics of the beam on the rally car atm its mental :D

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
are reet well let me know if your just gonna use washers or know how to do it as i was some camber for the 25th (of this month) lol

Mk2 172
i want to get rid of my negative camber as mines only a roadcar. the wheels lean in but only a bit but the evidence on the tyre shows 3-4mm of the outside edge is not touching the road.
Washers are surly a bodge job? the stub axel wouldt sit flush would it?

thats what they use on all their race cars so id hardly call it a bodge on half million pound race cars :)