ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear Numberplate Light - MOT Fail

Audi A6 Avant S-Line
Hi

I understand there are a few threads on this topic but my MOT failed on the numberplate light. I was just wondering how much would this cost from renault or if anyone has one for sale

I need the housing where the bulb sits and the connector/wiring that goes into the housing as both have corrosion on them

Daryl

Whether you wanted it or not, here's my story. I don't like Renault garages (I have reason not to trust them) but last year I left my mot really late, and Renault Manchester is only 5 mins. from work - I thought it's just an mot, what could go wrong? So booked my car in. Being the idiot I am, I only checked the lights at about 9:30 the night before and found my number plate light wasn't working - couldn't buy a new bulb before I took it in. Arrived early and told them my light wasn't working - could they put a new bulb in for me before the mot. Sure no problem they said, that'll be £16. WHAT, THAT'S RIDICULOUS I said, I've even unclipped the light for you. Ok we can do it for £11. Right can I buy a bulb from you and do it myself - sure, the parts department will be open in 20 mins. NNRRRGGHHH. Had no choice but to leave it with them, needed to get to work. Got a call later - car had failed. Apparently wasn't just the bulb, needed new light fitting and section of wiring - would I like them to fit it for me at a cost of around £79. NO, I'll do it myself. So collected the car, and bought myself a new bulb (least I avoided their extortionate bulb fitting charge.) Unclipped the light, disconnected the plug, and there was some corrosion on the contacts. Got a screwdriver and scraped it off, reconnected, new bulb in - and IT WORKED! A whole 5 mins of work. I wished I'd just tried a new bulb straight off - maybe it would have worked anyway. Then had the hassle of booking my car back in for a re-test. Nearly a year later, and still working fine. To be on the safe side, weekend before last, I removed the light again and did a propper job of it. Dissassembled it as much as I could, scraped off the corrosion I could reach, gave it all a good clean, applied grease to the contacts, and put it all back together. Hopefully it will last a while.

Sorry, just needed to vent :eek:

I don't know exactly what's wrong with yours - maybe the contacts have corroded away, maybe the wiring is knackered. But if you're just trusting the word of a garage, you may as well have a look yourself, complicated it ain't - a wire leading to a bulb basically. It can't do any harm to have a go, and you could save yourself some cash. If you do have a look yourself, just be careful to protect the paintwork of the bumper when removing the light. If you're using a screwdriver wrap masking tape or a piece of paper around the end of it. As you probably know - don't touch the glass of car bulbs with your fingers, use a tissue or something (if you do accidentally, use methylated spirits to clean the glass.)

Sorry for the rant, best of look.

(Longest response on record?)

And I already knew before I took it there - BUT IT'S JUST AN MOT I told myself. Least it drummed it into me without any extra financial cost. Birchdown ever since, and for the future.

alien green rs133
to add, instead of risking paint work with screw drivers why not put your arm up the back of the bumper and push it out.

i have know the contacts inside completely dissapear, im on my 3rd holder in 3 years :( even after a good grease. im gonna convert mine at a later date to a different design.

Didn't know you could reach up the back - top tip.

I guess the contacts on mine will eventually corrode away to nothing, so I was wondering myself if there was some other way of connecting the wire to the bulb - how were you thinking of doing it?

Bumder With A Buffer
I made my own custom number plate light holder thingy (the black bit at the bottom)

Went through to of them and this one is waterproof and the clips wont get corroded/break...

19459_245435161178_700501178_3865687_5403533_n.jpg

19459_245435151178_700501178_3865686_4270115_n.jpg

19459_245435141178_700501178_3865685_1765004_n.jpg

19459_245435136178_700501178_3865684_6916141_n.jpg

Rich 1 Renault 0 :) I love botching :)

Iceberg 172
Try and fix the number plate light yourself, its not cheap at renault. My car had a service the day before its MOT and the hazard warning switch wasnt working so went to renault on the day of the MOT (an hour before it was booked in for the MOT) to get the switch sorted. I made the mistake of telling them at renault my car was due for MOT in an hour. Anyway, after half an hour of waiting a guy came and told me they'd done a free 25 point check on my car and the number plate light isnt working and needs to be replaced or it will fail its MOT! So i told them to fix that aswell, mistake..it cost £48.03! So i'd have a go at cleaning the contacts and a new bulb first before going to renault

alien green rs133
yeah same idea as rich

or take the clear bit at the top and sink led's into it full of silicone. done :D

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Same thing happened for my MOT when Renault quoted £68 for new housing as it was corroded. I bought a new bulb for a quid, sprayed some wd40 then scraped the contacts and it worked. Took about 5 minutes to fix.

It's not botching - it's engineering :D (and probably far better than Renaults')

One question though. It's waterproof, and will last forever, but I take it it does actually work - i.e. it does actually light the number plate ;)

Bumder With A Buffer
yeah same idea as rich

or take the clear bit at the top and sink led's into it full of silicone. done :D

Guy at work had that grey bulb holder lying around and I said "that'l fit!!!"

Spent an hour one friday afternoon knocking it up..dremel, plastic and hot glue/sealent = happy days :) Havent had a problem since (about 2 months ago now)

Same thing happened for my MOT when Renault quoted £68 for new housing as it was corroded. I bought a new bulb for a quid, sprayed some wd40 then scraped the contacts and it worked. Took about 5 minutes to fix.

Until it happens again and the tags totally fall off/apart :(

Bumder With A Buffer
It's not botching - it's engineering :D (and probably far better than Renaults')

One question though. It's waterproof, and will last forever, but I take it it does actually work - i.e. it does actually light the number plate ;)

Cheeky cnut of course it does! in fact you pissed me off so much I HAD to go take a photo to put your doubt in my engineering skills to shame! ;) .....

f3246275.jpg

9b5919a5.jpg

I wasent prepared to pay the £45 in parts to fix my numberplate light so i used some parts i had lieing around.

I drilled a hole in the bace for the new wiring and sealed all holes except one from each section to let any water drain out and so it doesent steam up (split up into 3 sections).

I used a 1/4" side repeter bulb and holder (fits into the hole where origanal bulb was perfectly)
614.jpg

Cut the old connector of the wiring loom and joint the new loom from the light with spade connectors.
cost a total of £2

Last edited:
Oh yeah, it does work! ;)

I'm glad (hope) you took my comment as intended (irony and sarcasm don't always work on the internet.)

DIY engineering is brilliant - I do it all the time :D

Audi A6 Avant S-Line
thanks for all your comments, the bulb holder and the connector both have corrosion, ive tried WD40 and scraping, tried all ways to get it working, found a parts website who have give me a quote of £12 for the holder & connector with some wiring to connect to original loom so think i'm gonna go for that?