ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear light problem

2003 Clio sport 172
Does anyone know whats wrong with my rear lights.

The drivers side rear lights when indicating make the back light flash aswell, when i put it in reverse the indicator on the left side comes on and stays on, i have tried the cluster in the other side and now they both do the same, when i put the brakes on the fog light symbol comes on on the dash.

I have changed all the bulbs and its still the same, the both light clusters look new with no rust or anything.

Please can someone help lol

I had this same problem with mine but was alot worse the only way to fix it now its this bad is to hav a new wiring loom at about £300 i think they quoted lol hope this helps

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
So you've cleaned the earths up but have you actually improved them; what was the resistence readings before and after? Did you check the earth/cable condition at the multiplug and around the light boards also?

Mick

Clio 182 cup
Is there any corrosion between the contacts on the light cluster connectors? I had the same problem on my nearside rear cluster, But the corrosion was very obvious on mine. Sorted with a visit to the breakers, for £5 got a cluster lamp holder and connector with 10 inches of wiring attached.
Spliced in the new connector and all was fine. Problem came from wiring loom being trapped under the rear cluster seal letting water into the connector.

Good luck.

2003 Clio sport 172
i aint got any way of testing it to be honest, the earth points that i cleaned up look good and the 2 light clusters have no rust at all in them. i have tried earthing the 2 points behind the lights to other parts of the car and its still the same, i could do with knowing of any other earth points that could cause it as the plugs on the lights all look fine aswell. i hope i dont need a new wiring loom

2003 Clio sport 172
I have managed to fix the problem, i took the plug off both rear clusters and found that the contacts were pushed to far apart (if that makes sense) so on the plug itself there is a little flap, i poped that open and just pushed the inside bits in a little and cleaned the pins on the cluster that the plug goes onto. everything looked brand new when i looked before so i didnt think this would do much but i put it all back together and i dont get any shorting and christmas tree flashing clusters at all lol.

Feel all good now, i even gave out a little yippy! on the drive lol

Thanks everyone for your help.

Clio 1.2expression
Hi mate im having the same problems as this guy, When i brake the Indicator light comes on and when i reverse something else comes on, I have checked the clusters on the driver side rear car loom clusters and its sooo Brown looks very dirty and i cannot remove it so if i did get a plug with clusters and the wiring already attached how would i replace the ones from the old one to the new one, Im only 18 mate im already in debt i really need to get the car on the road so i can sell on for my grandmothers cancer opertion! I just lost my dad and job so please help me mate if you can make a detailed video and send it to me or post it on youtube everyone are having the same problem mate, If u want i can beg you cause seriously thats how stuck i am, Electricain i have no money to give to them so please if you can make a video on what tools to use how to slice the wires and connect the new one, PLease try to make it detailed thanks, if you help me mate someone else will help you when your in need so please help thanks

Clio 1.2expression
Is there any corrosion between the contacts on the light cluster connectors? I had the same problem on my nearside rear cluster, But the corrosion was very obvious on mine. Sorted with a visit to the breakers, for £5 got a cluster lamp holder and connector with 10 inches of wiring attached.
Spliced in the new connector and all was fine. Problem came from wiring loom being trapped under the rear cluster seal letting water into the connector.

Good luck.

Hello there mate im having the same issues! IF YOU could read my post and answer them that will be great, Did you buy new bulb holder and New plug wiring? if so how did you actually splice the wires and rewired them? Cause my right rear connector car plug has so much corrosion its gone all brown so should i cut the wire off? is that the reason why my lights are crazy cause when i brake the right indicator on the rear comes on, and when i reverse the brake light and when i indicate the number plate bulb flashes? please let me know

Clio 1.2expression
Hello Anyone who nows how it make my lights work IF you live nearby Nelson Lancashire bb9, i know its a big ask but if you could come down and help me fix the problem that would be great! Im sorry im broke otherwise i would have taken it to the local garage so please if any more near nelson burnley colne or nearby please could you contact me it will be a great help thankyou

172/1.2/E30
Easiest way is cleaning the contacts, bend them a little to make a tight fit and spray with wd40. Should even be "do-able" by a mechanical rookie.

clio grande
SIMILAR to previous, but DON'T BEND, TWIST, FREE FIX - FINE NOSED long pointy pliers, take the rear light clusters apart, one at a time. UNPLUG the electrical connector. Use long-nosed pliers to grip head-on the EARTH connector PRONG it might be the third one down, from memory, trace the one that goes to metal track common to ALL the bulbs. TWIST THIS PRONG by just a fraction. You can WD40 it and re-assemble. Do both to be sure, but boy, have some people spent money on new light clusters - my spouse's mechanic waxed on about what a good deal he got her on a second-hand light cluster - GREAT BUT YOU DON'T NEED IT, THE CURE IS FREE. TWIST THE PRONG WITH FINE-NOSED PLIERS A FRACTION, WD40 AND RE-CONNECT. DONE, FREE!

2014 Clio 200t edc
Raking up an old thread that's been done to death, but I have this issue, took each light off to test the fault and it occurs with both just left and just right lights fitted.
So looking at the plugs they look perfect, the connectors on the bulb holders are fine apart from the top ones which both appear to have melted the plastic at the bottom of the pin slightly. Am I right in thinking getting a pair of good replacement bulb holders will cure my problem, or is there an easier fix like adding more earth wire. Both main earths in the boot look good. Thanks and sorry if this is an easy fix.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Or would the above trick of twisting the pun slightly work? Don't want to try anything with the risk of breaking it and being stuck!