ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear end skitish...

Clio 182 Cup (FF)
As of recently the rear end feels like it wants to kick out over bumpy roads. Any suggestions? I'm thinking its the dampers...i can't see any leaks.

And would this make the front end feel lighter?

Im using standard Cup dampers on Eibach springs, just ticked over 85k.
Thanks for any input

Had the same problem with mine before it got stripped down one of the rear dampers had gone, it got progressively worse so just watch out as the back end went wild on occasions! The Eibach's may of reduced the lifespan. They are roughly £53 inc vat from renault I think but it's good practice to change both at the same time :)

182cup & 172 racecar
It sounds like a rear damper issue to me as well,leaking is not always a sign of them going,took two off a car the other week,one was shagged,but showed no signs of ever leaking.

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
very common symptoms when the rear dampers need replacing as other have said.

Clio 182 Cup (FF)
Cheers thankyou for all the replies. I've found a pair of OEM dampers on ebay for £90. Better than renault or ktec prices

182cup & 172 racecar
Let us know if it makes any difference when you have them fitted.

Pisses me off when people ask for advice,it's given,then you never hear anything again.

It finishes the thread off then.:D

Clio 182 Cup (FF)
I'll let you know, took the car to a garage and the light steerig cant be explained, everything was fine so next step is to order the dampers at somepoint

BG PH1 Megane 225
I've recently put new genuine Renault rear dampers on my 172 as I had the same symptoms you've explained. My old ones had no visible leaks on but when they were off the car one was much easier to push in compared to the other. The new ones transformed my car and made me feel a lot more comfortable driving the car how it should be. ;)

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
had this on my car, bumpy roads and the right hand turns = recipe for oversteer, was scary stuff, my back left damper showed no signs of leaking but when i took it off, it had no oil left in it, acted like a pogo stick when i compressed it

Clio 182 Cup (FF)
I've order them. Genuine renault dampers, £97 delivered. Due to arrive in 3 days...

275 Trophy
+1 on the reporting back please. I have the exact same symptoms - feels like it's steering from the back sometimes. I did take one off but it felt ok but then I dn't know how stiff they should be.

Clio 182 Cup (FF)
Just to report back, the shockers were dead to say the least, one was leaking and both were very easy to de-press unlike the new ones. The ride is much more solid, it used to bounce around a lot more than it does now. I haven't taken it on a spirited drive but i can tell it's improved already

182cup & 172 racecar
Thanks for the feedback,at least we know we were right.

People would be surprised how much better there car would handle with a new set of OE shocks on.