ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear disc conversion help!

Evo
Will a 182 Rear beam complete with brakes and hoses/fittings bolt onto a non-sport 2003 Clio without any real problems?

Found one going cheap complete and thought it'd be a quick upgrade for the 1.4.

Any experience with this modification or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, ben.

ABS system wont be compatible and you'l have problems afaik. 182 ABS rings differ from non-sport drum ABS rings, so it confuses the ABS computer.

If you remove the ABS completely then yeah it would work no problem, but thats major work.

Evo
ABS system wont be compatible and you'l have problems afaik. 182 ABS rings differ from non-sport drum ABS rings, so it confuses the ABS computer.

If you remove the ABS completely then yeah it would work no problem, but thats major work.

How so? the Clio 1.6 has the same setup does it not as the sports?

Yep it does, but they run the same ABS settings as the sports on the ABS computer so its compatible (amount of teeth). If you went and bolted it onto a 1.4 that previously had drums, the ABS computer would be confused and throw the ABS on every time you press the brake most probably.

Someone on here tried it and had major problems, ended up going back to drums.

If the car had no ABS it would be simple as bolting it on, connecting the brake lines and bleeding the system...then it'd work perfect. But im guessing it has got ABS.

Evo
What if for arguements sake the car in question was getting a 2ltr sport engine and ecu conversion? Problem solved?

ABS computer is a different thing, you'd need to swap the ABS pump in the engine bay for one from the sport, the computer is built into that.

Although, if you swapped the ABS pump/computer, you'd need the sport ABS rings all round (i.e. Fit them on the front, or fit the sport hubs/driveshafts etc).

If you swapped the rear beam, you'd have the amount of teeth on the back from a sport. But you would still have the 1.4 amount of teeth on the front, so you'd need to sort that too before fitting the sport ABS pump/computer.

Need to swap master cylinder and run new brake lines.

If you could remove all the copper lines from a 172 Cup, then swap the master cylinder, it would all bolt on without any problems. Or make your own brake lines.

Handbuilt 172 Cup/ 1.2 8v
i have done this exact conversion and have it running perfectly. i am still running abs.

the beam is a straight swap, you could infact use the origional beam on your none Sport but you need rear stub shafts from a sport i think. the sport beams are stiffer with a built in 'torsion bar'

You need to run the same abs rings on all 4 corners, so if its 26 tooth on the front driveshafts stick 26 tooth on the rear disks, use heat to remove and fit. the rear abs sensors will need to be from a sport also.

i tried to run my car without abs, does not work as the abs rings are also the speed sensors for the speedo, (does not run off gearbox like a sport does) ok, it works but consequently your spedo does not.

Idealy you need new handbrake cables (sport for the calipers) both sides, but the drum ones do streach if you are strong or have the proper tool. if you adjust under the gear stick to the last 3 threads or so. i wouldnt recomend though, dangerous. i did it only as a temp solution.

braking performance is improved if you can do this conversion.

whilst doing this conversion, try upgrading springs and dampers, = improved handling.

Tom

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Why bother though?? The rear brakes don't contribute much, seems a bit pointless.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Why bother would be my first thought.

Really is a waste of money and time mate, only trying to save you grief.

Evo
Rear beam complete cost £80, for that money even if they just look better its worth it.

And i've warped 2 sets of drums on the rear now so hopefully the discs will help is dissipate some heat.

alien green rs133
im concidering the same conversion, and i was just gonna put the abs rings off the drums onto the disks. problem solved.
as i already have 1.2 rings on 172 shafts up front :D

Evo
im concidering the same conversion, and i was just gonna put the abs rings off the drums onto the disks. problem solved.
as i already have 1.2 rings on 172 shafts up front :D

Im gonna try this approach first, but is it ever that easy... :nono:

Will let you know if it works.

LY 182
fits fine other than the abs issue did it on my white one...

you can get round the abs probs its just a case of finding abs rings with the right amount of teeth (compared to the fronts) to fit the rear discs... which i can confirm you will find searching through renaults parts database

Evo
Cheers for good advice ppl, happy not to be going in blind now.

Also considering fitting anti roll bar from a sport model up front, anybody done this too?

if you get it right you can pick up rear beams for £100 on ebay with disks calipers pads and dampers. then its worth it. sport rear springs £20.

brown bear:- imo rear disks may not contribute much to the total braking efficiency on a sport, but you would deffinately know if you took em off and put drums on.

like i said above, these changes are more substantial than just brakes. using a sport beam increases the rear track and helps reduce some of that understeer.

hutchie, do sport drive shafts fit into some/most/all poverty clio gearboxes? 02 reg;) 1.2.

Evo
Even better mate £80 complete with discs, calipers, cables and hoses ;)

Got a new set of 172 calipers for the front too, all i need is the discs lol.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Bloody good buy that!!!

Is this the car that was out front when my mate came by to pick up those springs? I said look for a white clio, he said there was one at yours, but not a white one? lol!

That reminds me, must give away those springs as I never found fronts and ended up getting a whole set.

Evo
Yes mate the green clio lol, mines tucked away in the garage.

Yeah not much use for them springs anywhere really lol.

Evo
For anyone who wishes to attempt this themself its as simple as fitting the rear discs from a mk1 clio ( abs model ) to the 172 rear beam.

Simples.

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
I will be putting a guide up for this in the next week or so.
It can be done but you need the right abs rings and sensors