ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear disc ABS Ring removal

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Hi All,

A few weeks back I bought and installed new rear calipers and hand brake cables - one of my calipers had seized causing the cable to fail (probably).

I also purchased some unipart rear discs because they were so cheap. However upon install I noticed that the ABS ring was different to what was already fitted to my car, can the ABS ring be removed from stock discs?

Cheers!

Rob,

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Ahh, fantastic - discs will stay then. Just press on? I have a nice little 3 legged puller somewhere which should remove the already installed rings from the new discs (if thats the recommended way to do it).

Thanks for the help!

dan's cast offs.
i'v done them with a thin chisel and worked it off that way. tap them on the new disc with a small punch.

I couldn't get the rings of my rear discs when I first bought the car as they were rusted, so just banged the disc over the gas hob to heat the rings and they slid off with a tap of a flathead screwdriver.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks, that would be my first go to, however my new discs have bearings pre-installed and I don't want to damage the rubber seals on them - happy to wang the old discs on the hob though ?

Thanks, that would be my first go to, however my new discs have bearings pre-installed and I don't want to damage the rubber seals on them - happy to wang the old discs on the hob though ?
You could just buy a cheap blow torch with replaceable gas cans like the below, that's what I ended up with and its been great. You can concentrate the heat away from the bearing then and they are mega handy especially on the old Clio's.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ha...d3158/Auto+Blowlamp+with+Gas+Cartridge/p78079

dan's cast offs.
no need to heat them, old rings can be split with a chisel easily.

watch out with the j&r rings, i've had a few now that aren't true and when they are on will rub against the sensor as you turn them.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Is there a better supplier for the rings? For example would they be reasonably priced from Renault?
I've got 2 front J&R rings fitted , they've been fine . If you try and get the old rings off , who's to say they won't be slightly out . You're only splashing out £2.25 each ? , worth trying them in my opinion.