ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear breaks Squeeling

Nimbus Megane R26
Had a quick look on search but couldnt find what im looking for.

Had my brakes at the back replaced (disks and pads) about 600miles ago and they are still squeeking like hell, even though they should have bedded in by now. Took the wheels off and they hadnt put any copper slip behind the pads, so i did that and it stopped for a while.. but lately its started again really bad and the brakes just arnt as strong as they should be(brake pedal travelling 1-2inches before anything).. anyone any ideas as to what could be causing it?

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg
Did you have genuine Renault pads and discs? After market ones are renowened for squealling.

You have also said "Had my brakes at the back replaced" suggesting someone else done the job, if so, take it back and complain.

Evo
Brake pedal travelling so far with nothing happening suggests you need to bleed the brakes.
Even with faulty rear pads you should still get some decent braking through most of the front.

Possibly handbrake sticking? and pads are overheating and then fading, this would explain your travel too ( Brake fluid boiling, introducing air into the system )

Nimbus Megane R26
Cheers guys, ben come to think of it with that handbrake sticking comment..at low speeds i can hear squeeking suggesting the brakes are perhaps binding or something. Am taking it back to ensure OEM brake parts were used by the garage.

Cheers Bob/Ben for the reply :)

Evo
Simplest way to check for binding brakes is drive it for 5-10 mins using the brakes as minimal as possible then get out and feel the rear wheels. If they r binding they'll be hot ( considerably more than the front/or more so than other side if only one caliper is sticking ).