ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear Brakes - SERIOUS PROBLEM

Ph2 172 Cup
Bl**dy hell...

New discs & bearings about 6 months ago...

Since my last trackday my car picked up a grinding noise (see earlier post). Last weekend I had a new wheel bearing fitted to the passenger side rear. I was shocked that it would have gone so quickly, I didn't think there was any play in it, but sounded like a clear bearing problem so got it replaced anyway.

At the time, the guy fitting it commented that the circlip didn't seem to be sitting well in it's retaining groove, but he got it in.

Unfortunately the grinding noise persisted, but got worse this week. So I thought I'd have another look after suggestions on here, next option was brakes binding. Stripped and reassembled the brakes, put back together - still grinding. Then I realise that it's grinding even if the brake pads aren't in. The disc is rubbing on the bolts that secure the brake caliper!!!

Take off the disc for a closer look and the circlip has popped out of its groove and the bearing has slipped about 1cm! Thank god I saw that.

But the plot thickens. I then look at the drivers side (has not been touched or changed since fitting about 6 months ago. This side as well has slipped out of its retaining groove and is rubbing against the caliper mounting bolts.

Now one side could have been a mistake in assembly - but both!!!??? Sounds more like last weekends comment that it wasn't still well in the groove is a more fundamental flaw with the discs doesn't it? If so, should I be taking it up with the supplier (not Renault)?

ph1-172
think this has happened to mine aswel, i haven't changed the disks and bearings yet but just wondering what disks did you use just to possibly keep clear of them. only checked them this evening and my disk is rubbing on caliper carrier. shoulda stuck to german cars lol

Ph2 172 Cup
I will PM you with the details.

At this point I don't think it's appropriate to post the supplier on a public forum - however it would appear that there could be a risk of a faulty batch and if so anyone else with this problem should also make contact.

The rear brakes do naff all as standard, anyone thinking of buying uprated discs or pads for the rear is wasting their money, unless they want a specific look, just fit oem stuff or cheaper alternatives.
At brands on Wednesday after a 30 minute session pushing at a reasonable pace the fronts on my car were very hot, the rears you was able to touch without getting burnt, slightly above ambient tempreture that's all.

I know this doesn't help your plight, but it's something to bear in mind when you get some replacements.
A few things to check on your disc's at the mintue though would be;

1, The circlip is actually the right size to start with (if you need a measurement i'm sure i could get you one)

2, A new circlip was fitted when the bearings were fitted (don't re-use the old one unless you really have too)

3, The circlip groove in the disc has square edges

4, The depth of the groove (could be difficult to measure unless you've got the right gear)

Any one of those above could result in the problem you've got.

Chris

Ph2 172 Cup
It's almost certainly circlip groove depth, it's really shallow, fraction of a millimetre.

Out of interest, does anyone know roughly what depth the groove should be?

Now it's happened a couple of times I suspect that the edges of the circlips/discs have also rounded a bit so unless I get the grooves re-cut (which is probably not cost effective) I think I'll just use them for paperweights.

I've had a positive response from the supplier - a new set are on the way. I'll be interested to compare the depth of the groove between the two.

Last edited:
A local engineering place should be able to deepen the groove if you need to get it sorted yourself.

Simpleish job should only cost a few beers for the pair.

Chris