ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear brakes jamming when pulling away, 1.2

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Morning all,

The 1.2 clio we have seems to have a problem that has only started the past few days. When pulling away for the first time off the drive on the morning the rear wheels/brakes seem to be jammed on. When pulling away it feels as though the rear of the car lifts up, you can then hear a crack sound as though the brakes are freeing up.

My first though is brake shoes as i had a similar problem years ago with a 1.2 clio. Anyone have any other suggestions if it could be this or something else?

Austin

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Brake shoes sticking. Try putting less effort on to park the vehicle up over night but I'd advise a rear brake service as these are common for seeing the friction material fall from the back plate which jams the rear wheels solid (and isn't fun to fix).

Mick

Clio RS 200 Gordini
Brake shoes sticking. Try putting less effort on to park the vehicle up over night but I'd advise a rear brake service as these are common for seeing the friction material fall from the back plate which jams the rear wheels solid (and isn't fun to fix).

Mick

Spot on, was having this issue with my Mark 2 1.2 before I smashed it up. It is likely to get worse as I had to wheel spin my car at one point to unstick it. See if someone can sort the brake shoes out for you or have they been roughed up?

182cup & 172 racecar
Micks right, I had to do guys at work as he couldn't move his car to get home.
Pain to do when the pads have fallen apart.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
A cheap pair of rear shoes are like £13 so not a bank buster and then an hour of your time with a Haynes book of lies will show you how to replace and adjust them correctly.

Seriously, don't just ignore this because the job is really awkward if the friction material does fall away.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers guys, the car hasn't been moved for a few days so i will check and have a look at it.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Problem happened again today and was worse, felt as though it was dragging.

Im back at work now too so think booking it in the garage is the eat option as i dont have a clue what i would be doing myself

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Don't let em charge too much... hours work plus shoes and worst case a fixing kit.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Mick, rough ish idea on what i should be expecting to pay if it is all of the above?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Do you know if a bearing could also cause the problem? I have a feeling a bearing may be gone because i have heard a squeling kind of noise when the window has been down.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
£95

Brake cylinders and shoes need replacing. Cylinders are apparently leaking.

Does that sound right?

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
yes had my cylinder burst contaminate the shoe then the linings of the shoe brake off.

£95 is a good price for a garage job.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers fellas good to know. Tbh its the garage i have been using for years with my 182 for all general work and they are always great with me.

They still have the car now as i didn't take it till quite late and they rang me after having a look at first, then explained what needs doing, what the price would be and if i was happy for them to do the work. Will be picking it back up tomorrow.