ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear brake piston stuck? and rear brake torque figures.

I replaced my rear brake pads today, I left the large brake carrier on the hub and just hammered out the metal that holds the brake pads in place, and wound the pistons in with a screwdriver whilst the caliper was in place.

The passenger side wound in fine, but the drivers side rear didn't seem to go in enough and I had trouble getting the pads in. I lifted the piston boot and sprayed a bit of WD40 into it, having the caliper still on along with the disc I couldn't add any force to try and wind the caliper in more.

So I plan to whip the caliper and disc off, and try and wind the piston in completely to see if its seized or not.

After I'd like to torque the caliper back on but Im confused with the 2 settings:

Rear Carrier to Hub: 100nm
Rear Calliper to carrier: 40nm

To me there is just the large caliper that holds the pads in place with 2 bolts exposed at the back? which figure is it?

S4 Avant
Fairly common for the rear calipers not to wind back in. I just bought a caliper off ebay to replace it.

Cheers Dave, yeah if it comes to that I will have to replace it, I've read that using some force as well as winding in the piston may work? or no?

These are the bolts facing that I wish to know the torque setting for please

459_zps7f56fbd5.jpg

Can I also ask... the picture above you can see the pad facing away from the car has a locating tab in the middle. That's supposed to slot into the piston isnt it? as that's what I've done on with my new pads.

SQ5
Yes those rear pads are the wrong way round.

Those two bolts are the carrier to caliper so 40nM

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Them pads are in ok as all the pads i fit they have knobs on all the pads.

Take the disc off and tap it round gently with a hammer and screwdriver.
Mine were stiff last night

Those where the old pads chaps, The new ones I have the tab sitting in the piston each side then the flat pad facing outwards each side.

Ok 40Nm for the big bolts, whats the 100Nm figure for?

I will take the caliper off and try and wind the piston in soon.

Also if I'm winding the piston in clockwise then sitting the tab on the pad in the pison slot, doesn't that stop the piston from turning outwards? or just is just come straight out and not need to turn?

iceberg phase 2 172
use copper grease instead of wd40 mate , i done mine a few days ago , tap it around with a hammer and screwdriver to free it up , then wind it out , give it a good clean/sand , re-grease and keep winding in and out untill it feels smooth :)

Clio 172 Cup
I would have though it would be 100 for those bolts as 40 isnt a lot the spark plugs are toqued to 40 iirc. i dont know for sure but seems a little low to me

allthough i would say they are caliper to carrier bolts.

I know this sounds a bit basic... But when I work the caliper in and want to wind it out, can I just pump the brake pedal? Will it only come out to a certain point? Then I can clean everything back up and wind in? And then repeat the process.

Is the 30 new or second hand ? I will do that if it needs be, the trouble is I'm not actually sure if its seized yet I was difficult winding the piston back in with the disc and caliper in the way. Ill try by hand first and if its seized ill change it :)