ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rear brake compensator

clio sport 172 cup
hi all
just put my cup through it's m.o.t and failed on the rear brake pressure reading.garage said it was the rear brake compensator.ordered a new one with renault yesterday and picked it up this afternoon where the guy in renault told me the cup has got one but it's not connected with the spring and bar to the chassis but as it was a special order part i couldn't have a refund.has enyone had this problem with the compensator and can you help as need to get car through m.o.t
:( .

Mondeo TDCI 130
Thats BULLSHIT mate, the cup does have the compensator inline, but its not connected up with the rod! There was a update sent to the test stations by VOSA about it! You do not need the rod, and the cannot fail it for that. the rear brakes hardly work, how there meant to be!!I will have a look for the thing, someone else may post it up! Demand a refund!! The tester will have been informed about it, if he hasnt then he should have read his special notices.! ( i was a tester mate, left to work on my own)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Car will pass as it is mate. Take it to a garage that know what they're doing.

VOSA sent ALL mot stations an update informing them of the design of the car.

Oh, and go and get your money back.

Mondeo TDCI 130
I just re-read your original post mate, i take it that the garage that tested it isn't where you ordered the bit from?????If thats the case you may well be stuck with the part, as it isn't renaults fault!

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
I just re-read your original post mate, i take it that the garage that tested it isn't where you ordered the bit from?????If thats the case you may well be stuck with the part, as it isn't renaults fault!

Looks like he ordered the part from Renault.

They order it as a special order so it cannot be returned for a refund.

Id get the garage who told you it needed the part to pay for it !! They obviously didnt read the special notes for the vehicle. Id be angry!! :mad:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Yep...you've been had by clueless idiots.

The Cup does not have a compensator as the rear brake bias is set at a pre-determined very low level at the factory.

Most fail the MOT as the rear brakes are 'not working'. Problem is they are working, just as Renault intended at a very low level (so low that my rear pads lasted 90,000 miles from new, and that included getting a regular beasting on track).

MOT testers tend not to know this though...so fail them for non-functioning brakes, and tell Cup owners to go get a compensator.

The fact that Renault allowed you to order a part for your 172 Cup that was never fitted in the first place sums up their level of incompetence...and on that basis I'd say you have every right to demand your money back.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Yep...you've been had by clueless idiots.

The Cup does not have a compensator as the rear brake bias is set at a pre-determined very low level at the factory.

Most fail the MOT as the rear brakes are 'not working'. Problem is they are working, just as Renault intended at a very low level (so low that my rear pads lasted 90,000 miles from new, and that included getting a regular beasting on track).

MOT testers tend not to know this though...so fail them for non-functioning brakes, and tell Cup owners to go get a compensator.

The fact that Renault allowed you to order a part for your 172 Cup that was never fitted in the first place sums up their level of incompetence...and on that basis I'd say you have every right to demand your money back.

PM me your e-mail address and I can e-mail the PDF of the VOSA article which will explain everything.

Awesome wording. :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Joshydee is implying that the guy has not said thank you. But he is Welsh.

LY 182
sbv - off the top of your head mate what sort of kg readings to cup rear brakes pull up???

need to bias mine (running no abs) just wondering what sort of braking power renault decided on

clio sport 172 cup
sorry my bad !! thank you all guys been a great help as allways,

p.s sorry for my late thanks.jamo.

Mondeo TDCI 130
sbv - off the top of your head mate what sort of kg readings to cup rear brakes pull up???

need to bias mine (running no abs) just wondering what sort of braking power renault decided on

From memory, i am pretty sure mine was about 50 each side, very poor in comparison with a similiar vehicle! Hence they fail the readings test!!!!